Private Tour of Korea's Modern History
On this 8-hour tour, learn about South Korea's rich history and how Seoul has changed over hundreds of years. You will be amazed as you walk around one of the grand palaces, Deoksugung Palace, which is located inside a complex that features both western and traditional buildings, creating its unique atmosphere. Walk down Jeongdong-gil, a calm and picturesque tree-lined alley and one of the most historic streets. You will also visit Baejae Hakdang, the first mission school established in South Korea, where many important figures went for schooling, and Seodaemun History Prison, one of the most tragic symbols of Japanese cruelty and oppression.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local guide
- Bottled water
- Private transport
- Entry/Admission - Deoksugung
- Entry/Admission - Seodaemun Prison History Hall
What's excluded :
- After a morning hotel pickup in Seoul, your first destination for this your tour is Deoksugung Palace. Deoksugung Palace is one of Seoul's five grand palaces built during the Joseon dynasty, Deoksugung first served as a palace in 1593 and is a fascinating mix of traditional Korean and Western-style neoclassical structures. The palace used to be three times as big as it is now, but it still contains small gardens and ponds amid an extraordinary potpourri of contrasting architectural styles. King Gojong who had intention to modernize Joseon dynasty against the control of Japan, passed away in Hamryeongjeon Hall.
After looking around Deoksugung Palace, enjoy the path of Jeongdong-gil. It is full of cultural heritage and bears vestiges of Korea’s long and storied history. The area is most popular for its narrow picturesque street called Jeongdong-gil that runs along the stone wall of Deoksugung Palace. The beautiful tree-lined cobblestone streets flanked by the stately palace walls and historical buildings are among Seoul’s most beautiful. Being designated by the Seoul Metropolitan Government as the first “Beautiful Street for Walking” in 1999 only made it official. But it is the cultural and historical heritage along the street that makes Jeongdong-gil so special.
The following steps of tour is to Baejae Hakdang. It is the first mission schools established in Korea by the Methodists. In the early days, education at all the mission schools was at the elementary level and consisted of an unstructured curriculum of English language education, mainly teaching English, Korean and the Bible. King Gojong was aware of the school’s focus on English language instruction and granted the name ``Baejae Hakdang,’’in 1886. With the king’s special interest in the school, within a short period of time, the Baejae became a recognized institution through which many ambitious Korean men passed through.
Following lunch at a local restaurant, you will visit Jeoldusan Martyrs' Shrine is the site of the Byeonin Persecution of 1866, where many Roman Catholics were brutally murdered. This site was built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Byeonin Persecution and to remember the spirit of martyrdom at Jeoldusan. The Martyrs’ Museum and Martyrs’ Memorial were built in 1967, and in 1972 Martyrs’ Park was opened to the public. Pope John Paul Ⅱ visited in the site in 1984 and Mother Teresa visited in 1985.
The last place you will go to is Seodaemun Prison History Hall was once used to incarcerate Korean independence activists during the time of Japanese colonial rule. Built in 1908, it is a symbol of Japanese cruelty and oppression during their colonial rule of Korea from 1910 until 1945. Today, the prison serves as a history museum reminding people of the tragedies in the past via exhibitions including lifelike re-creations of torture scenes in the nightmarish interrogation cells in the basement.
Departure Point :Your hotel in Seoul
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A maximum of 9 people per booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.