Private Tour: Otranto City Tour with Ice Cream Tasting
Meet your guide and discover the small village of Otranto with this 2-hour walking tour of the city. Your visit will start from the Cathedral and its gorgeous mosaic. After the walking tour, you will taste a special homemade ice cream and you will have free time for shopping.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Otranto walking tour
- Ice cream tasting
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This little town, on the Adriatic coast, lies on the most oriental point of Italy and was founded by the Greeks coming from Crete with the name of Hydratum: it was then conquered by the Romans and has been for 500 years a very important Byzantine centre.
During the Middle Ages it was a departure point for the crusaders going to the Holy Land.
The ancient part of the town lies within fortified walls facing the wonderful sea that boasts transparent waters which have won for several years the Bandiera Blu award for the high quality of the sea water.
The Cathedral of Otranto represents the biggest Romanesque building of Apulia and was built in 1080: inside, you will be able to admire the biggest mosaic of the world, created with thousands of little pieces of stone by the monk Pantaleone. In the mosaic we can see images from the Old Testament like Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, as well as figures from Breton legends such as King Arthur and mythological images such as the Mermaid and the signs of the zodiac.
Inside the cathedral we can see the skulls and bones of the 800 martyrs who were killed by the Turks in 1480 because they refused to be converted to the Islamic religion.
Our visit continues with the imposing Aragonese Castle of Otranto of the 15th century which inspired the famous book by Horace Walpole. If the sky is clear from Otranto we will be able to see the mountains of Albania and Greece!
After this, you will taste a special homemade ice cream and say good bye to your guide.
Departure Point :Puglia, Puglia
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Point: OtrantoAddress: Largo Porta Terra. Meet your guide in front of the arch at the entrance of the old townDates: Daily
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.