Private Tour to Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg
Enjoy a trip to the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg, built in 18th century and a must-see attraction for anyone interested in the city's rich history. Accompanied by a knowledgeable private guide, head inside the imposing fortress, the city’s oldest building, constructed by Peter the Great in 1703.
Walk around the key sites as you hear about their history; explore the Trubetskoy Bastion prison cells and museum; and visit the extraordinary Peter and Paul Cathedral, whose gilded interior holds the tombs of Peter the Great and Nicholas II and his family, killed by the Bolsheviks in 1917. Peter and Paul Fortress has held some high-profile criminals in its prison cells, including 'Crime and Punishment' author Fyodor Dostoevsky and Lenin's right-hand man, Leon Trotsky.
per adult from
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Professional licensed guide
- Guaranteed to skip the long lines
- Private tour
- Entry/Admission - Peter and Paul Fortress
- Guaranteed to skip the lines
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and hotel drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Peter and Paul Fortress, Petropavlovskaya Fortress, 3, St. Petersburg 197022 Russia
As you travel, your guide will tell tales of the city and how it was founded with the construction of the fortress in 1703 at the behest of the Tsar, Peter the Great.
On arrival at the fortress, stroll around its buildings with your guide while learning about their fascinating history. Hear how the fortress was built to defend against an incursion of Swedish forces that never happened, and how during the 19th century, the fortress was used as a prison. Peer inside the eerie Trubetskoy Bastion, one of the former prison blocks as your guide explains how it was used as a torture chamber, and take a guided tour of the museum that charts the lives of the former inmates.
Visit the stunning Peter and Paul Cathedral, the imperious Russian Orthodox church housed within the fortress walls. Admire the soaring bell tower and gilded baroque interior, and see the tombs of several of the Tsars laid to rest here, including Peter the Great, and Tsar Nicholas II and his family, whose remains were buried here in 1998.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Palace Square, 6, Sankt-Peterburg, Russia, 191186
Departure Time :10:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.