Private Tour to Ruskeala Mountain Park: Admire World's Unique Marble Canyon
One of the most striking and surprising places of the Northern Ladoga area is the Ruskeala Mountain Park, a unique and multidimensional monument to nature and the history of mining. We offer you to enjoy the real Karelian nature in natural parks and reserves. You can see volcanoes, waterfalls, mountains, quarries, etc
We offer a tour to the Ruskeala marble quarries, which are located not far from Petrozavodsk. The heart of the park lies in the Marble Canyon. An old abandoned quarry, which delivered stone for almost three centuries, now caters for tourists. A huge bowl, carved by people in marble, stretches 456 meters from north to south, and is 109 meters wide. Filled with the purest emerald-green water, it is framed by slightly sloping and steep rocks, reaching a height of 25 meters above the water mirror.
A series of small cascade waterfalls on the river Tohmajoki is another sight you will visit during the tour.
• Guaranteed skip-the-line entrance
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pick up and drop-off
- Driver’s services as per the program (Comfortable car/minivan with A/C)
- Professional English-speaking guide assistance. Other languages upon request
- Entrance fee to Ruskeala natural reserve
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Guaranteed skip-the-line entrance
What's excluded :
- Meals / Drinks
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities to guide/driver (optional)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Ruskeala Mountain Park, Turn Mear 21km To the Gorniy Park, Ruskeala 186759 Russia
One of the brightest and most amazing places in the Northern Ladoga area, the mountain park “Ruskeala” is the only one of its kind, a comprehensive monument of nature and the history of mining. The pearl of the mountain park is the marble canyon. An old abandoned quarry, where stone was mined for almost three centuries, is now furnished for tourists. A huge bowl, carved by people in an array of marble seam, extends from north to south for 456 meters, its width - 109 meters. Filled with the purest water of emerald hue, it is framed by gentle and steep rocks, reaching a height of 25 meters above the water's mirror. The sides of the canyon are pierced with surface and underwater galleries, drifts and mines. The total length of accessible and prepared for viewing workings reaches several hundred meters. However, only trained divers will be able to see the underwater mines.
Exotic mosses, lichens, orchids, shrubs in the Red Book have been preserved on the territory of the Ruskeala mountain park; There are rare species of reptiles, amphibians, and bats.
Marble field, a unique natural object is also a monument to the industrial history of four nations - Karelians, Swedes, Russians and Finns. There is no longer a similar monument, a man-made "bowl" in a solid array of marbles, cut through by a system of mines, tunnels and drifts. The marble deposit near the village of Ruskeala was discovered by Serdobolsky local pastor S. Apelius in 1766. In the following years, four grades of marble were organized in this area: ash-gray, gray-green, white with gray veins and white-gray-blue. Marble from the quarry was used in the decoration of architectural structures of St. Petersburg in the second half of the eighteenth century - the middle of the nineteenth century, as well as in Sortavala and Valaam in the late XIX - early XX centuries. Lime production was organized from the same marble in Ruskeala.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Ruskeala Waterfalls, Ruskeala Russia
Ruskeala waterfalls are located 28 kilometers from the city of Sortavala, if you go towards the border with Finland. The cascade of three waterfalls is located on the Tohmayoki River. Waterfalls are relatively small - the height of the largest does not exceed 4 m. First of all, waterfalls strike with the color of water: it is completely red and even looks rusty due to its high iron content. Falling from a height, the water enters the lake, covered with white foam. Because of the red water and white foam, at first it seems that the water in the waterfalls is very dirty, but this is not at all the case. The largest of Ruskeala waterfalls is the Ahvenkoski waterfall; the height of the water fall in it reaches 4 meters. Translated from the Finnish "akhvenkoski" means "perch threshold."
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
You will be picked up from any hotel of Petrozavodsk.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Pick-up and drop-off at the place of your accommodation in Petrozavodsk
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.