Private Tour to Sognefjord, Gudvangen and the Flåmsbana railway
This local Viator supplier have a average rating of ★★★★★
And consequently receives top reviews from their guests ☻
[Oct. 16, 2017] - New York Times: "In Norway, the Journey Is the Destination"
And the travel from Oslo via the spectacular mountain passes to Sognefjord and the Nærøyfjord UNESCO World Heritage site is amongst the most scenic in Europe in total. You return to Oslo with the nighttrain and awake back in the city, rested with a lifetime impression.
It might seem expensive, but this 26 hour long daytour is the most extensive Viator tour in Norway and mix the best from two worlds. A private car with comfortable seating and your own guide - will bring this to a whole other level than the "classic" train ride. Stops made on requests at great scenarios, and possibility for photo opportunities that will baffle your Instagram followers.
per adult from
1 day 2 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional photographer guide
- Hotel pickup & Train station drop-off
- Private tour for one party only, no ridesharing with unknown travelers
- Private car and Norwegian driver (***no foreign low cost labour used)
- All petrol and road toll for the entire trip.
- Driving time + max 2,5 hours of total stop time for photos etc.
- Hotspot for image upload available in car (some regions in the mountains without coverage)
- Special Notice: Due to Norwegian legislation, this tour includes payment for a overnight stay in a tent at our remote island in the Osterfjord. Notice that you dont need to utilize this, as this is solely to comply with the outdated Norwegian transportation law. In case you DO want to utilize this part of the tour, please notify the local supplier at the time of booking and a tent wil be provided for your use. A 1500 USD security deposit must be paid for the tent. You will have to put up the tent yourself and make your way to the island on your own!
What's excluded :
- Cruise and train tickets for Flåmsbana railway and the night train back to Oslo Central station
- Food and drinks are available for purchase from the driver / guide
- Your guide will pick you up at your Oslo City centre hotel, or at your hotel in the airport vicinity. You are heading from the flatlands in the east, out on the scenic drive over the mountains to the beautiful fjords of the west coast. The road itself is as beautiful as the classic train ride and then some, and you have the possibility to make stops upon request along the way. Don't miss out on those great opportunities for that magic camera shot when you finally come such a long way.
You head out on the E-16 from the east and make your way via the beautiful Valdres area where you pass villages like Bagn, Fagernes, Røn and the wonderful Ryfoss waterfall. As you arrive in the pittoresque small mountain village of Vang, it is time to get ready for the mountain crossing and check that your cameras are ready for the spectacular scenery.
After you pass the mountains you will descend via Lærdal/Aurland to the Nærøyfjord World Heritage site. Often called King of the Fjords amongst its visitors. In Flåm you will have the opportunity to see what it is all about and take the Premium Fjordcruise from Gudvangen to Flåm (own expense). The fjord is at it's most narrow passage less than 200 meters wide (600 feet), with mountains climbing steeply up to 1800 meters on each side. It is like sailing in the Grand Canyon, but with calm water protecting the traveler with its huge mountains. The Nærøyfjord is nothing less than a "Bucket list experience", and travelers have religious experiences here. The absolutely breathtaking views makes you think trough existential questions about our human origin and how small we are.
As if this is not enough, you are able to take the amazing Flåmsbana railway. A railway that because of its spectacular view and building method is ranked as one of the top railway experiences in the world (own expense). This part of the train is truly the most scenic - and you end up with the best from two worlds. The privacy of the car and the most scenic part of that train ride.
After you finish up in Flåm and Gudvangen you will take the final part of the drive to Voss City where your guide will leave you for some private hours at one of the city's restaurants before you take the train back to Oslo (own expense).
• All Guides used on this tour is born and bread Norwegians and are experienced with harsh winter
conditions in the mountains. No foreign low cost labour used to maximize profit.
• Worried about few reviews? This is a high end private tour that is often booked by private travel planners.
This means there is more than 20 satisfied customers behind every review.
• Want to see our other tours? Put the vendor code 57232P in the upper right corner search field.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- NOTICE - ALL WINTER TOURS WILL BE DONE ACCORDINGLY TO WEATHER FORECAST
- Even winter is rough - it is maybe the most superb time to see Norway at its most beautiful.
- However weather changes and your guide will always select the safest route to minimize risk of delays.
- THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY MINIVAN. FOR UPGRADE TO OUR VIP MERCEDES - PLEASE CONTACT THE LOCAL OPERATOR.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.