Private tour to the cave church (Saint Samaan church) and local lunch
Marvel at Cairo’s UNESCO-listed treasures on a private tour to this amazing historic churches, the seven cave churches carved into the nearby Moqattam Mountain.
The Cairo Cave Church (St. Simon the Tanner Monastery) is located in the Mokattam mountain in southeast Cairo. The area is known as ‘garbage city’ due to the large number of garbage collectors or ‘Zabbaleen’ that live there and sort through the city’s waste, recycling up to 80% of it.
To reach the Cave Church, visitors must weave through winding alleys before arriving at the entrance to what is believed to be one of the largest engraved monasteries in the world. The Zabbaleen are a minority Coptic Christian group and this gigantic church, which has been carved out of the mountainside and has a seating capacity of up to 20,000, is their place of worship.
This 10th century church as it exists today features various motives and sculptures depicting the life of Christ, and an amphitheater surrounding a central pulpit.
per adult from
4 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick up and drop off to your hotel
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Bottled water
- WiFi on board
What's excluded :
- Entry/Admission - St Simon the Tanner Monastery
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: St Simon the Tanner Monastery, Mokattam Hills, Cairo 11511 Egypt
Marvel at Cairo’s UNESCO-listed treasures on a private tour to this amazing historic churches, the seven cave churches carved into the nearby Moqattam Mountain. The Monastery of St. Simon the Tanner is the largest and has an amphitheater with a seating capacity of 20,000. interesting experience.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We will pick you up from your hotel lobby.
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.