Private Tour to Valaam: Visit one of the Oldest Monasteries in Russia (by train)
We offer boat tour to the Valaam island, which represents the combination of church architecture open-air museum and natural park. This tour is dedicated to the history of Karelia and Russian Orthodox church. The island is known worldwide as a unique and holy place.
06:15-10:20 "Lastochka" train from St. Petersburg to Sortavala (no guide)
10:20 Meeting with the local guide at the railway station, walking towards the pier in Sortavala
11.00-12.00 Transfer: Sortavala – island Valaam, Monastic Bay
12.00-14.00 Sightseeing tour with a guide: “Central Homestead”, lunch
14.00-14.30 Transfer Monastic Bay - Nikonov Bay
14.30-17.00 The walking tour with a visit to the Church of the Resurrection Skete, a tour of the Gethsemane Skete, the Assumption Church and the Ascension Chapel on Mount Eleon
17.00-18.00 Transfer back to Sortavala
18:00 Arrival in Sortavala, walking to the railway station
18:42-22.30 Train Sortavala-St. Petersburg (no guide)
• Guaranteed skip-the-line entrance
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional English-speaking guide assistance in Sortavala-Valaam. Other languages upon request
- Tickets to the hydrofoil boat (round trip)
- Entrance fees
- Sightseeing tours according to the program
- Train tickets St.Petersburg-Sortavala-St.Petersburg
- Guaranteed skip-the-line entrance
- Entry/Admission - Valaam Archipelago
- Entry/Admission - Valaam Monastery
What's excluded :
- Roundtrip transportation between St.Petersburg hotel and railway station (for additional charge)
- Personal expenses
- Soft and alcoholic drinks
- Gratuities to guide(optional)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Valaam Archipelago, Valaam Ostrov ul. Tsentralnaya d. 24, Sortavala 186756 Russia
Valaam Archipelago is one of the most interesting cultural, historical and nature attractions in the North of Russia. The nature of Valaam is unique and extremely beautiful. Thousands of tourists and pilgrims come from all over the world to this northern part of Lake Ladoga, the biggest lake in Europe.
Besides the nature beauty Valaam island is best known as the 14th century Valaam Monastery that is nowadays permanently inhabited by monks and families. There are about 600 residents on the main island, including monks and guides, army service personnel and restoration workers. In the 12th century the islands were a part of Novgorod Rebublic. In the 17th century it was captured by Sweden. Russia has conquered Valaam back less than a century later.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Valaam Monastery, Valaam Archipelago on Ladoga Lake, Valaam Russia
The heart of Valaam is its magnificent monastery complex founded in 992. During the tour you will visit the Central Monastery Complex and walk around the monk cells. You will also enjoy a concert of the Valaam choir and taste the monastery's food during lunch in the refectory.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, Northwestern District
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Dress code. During visits of active churches of the monastery situated within inside square line of monastic buildings men must remove headwear and women must wear skirts and headwear or kerchiefs. Sport suits, shorts, tube tops and low-cut dresses are not allowed. Footwear convenient for long walks is strictly recommended. Some slight changes could be made to program if considered necessary.
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- To get to Valaam you will first have to take a train from Saint Petersburg to Sortavala station.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.