Private Tour: Truffle-Hunting Experience from Pompeii with Lunch
Go truffle hunting in Italy’s Campania region on this private day trip from Pompeii! Traveling through the beautiful Monti Picentini mountains, stop at the foot of Mt Terminio and follow a hunter and his dogs on a truffle hunt through the mountain forest. Pause to taste freshly picked truffles paired with cheese, learn about the art of truffle hunting and enjoy the views. After your unforgettable truffle experience, travel to a restaurant for a relaxing 3-course lunch of local specialties accompanied with Italian wine, coffee and a liqueur.
per adult from
8 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Professional guide
- Truffle tastings with cheese
- 3-course lunch with wine, coffee and a liqueur
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Leave your Pompeii hotel in the morning for your full-day tour. While traveling by private minivan, relax on the scenic journey around Mt Vesuvius, up into the mountains of Partenio Regional Park, and down through the valley of Avellino, the capital city of the Campania region.
Continue onward to Monti Picentini Regional Park to the town of Volturara Irpina, beautifully nestled at the foot of Mt Terminio. Surrounded by mountains that tower to some 6,562 feet (2,000 meters) above sea level, the town and surrounding countryside is where Campania's famed truffles grow.
Meet an expert truffle hunter and his hunting dogs, two Lagotto Romagnolos — a breed that originates from Italy's historical Romagna region. These canines are known for their sharp senses, and are specifically trained to hunt truffles.
Collect your equipment and start your easy-paced hike, winding up the mountain to a height of roughly 4,593 feet (1,400 meters). The hike is suitable for all, although a good standard of physical fitness and sensible walking shoes are essential. Follow the hunter as you make your way through the forest, and watch as the dogs work their magic, sniffing the earth for hard-to-see truffles hidden under the forest shrubbery. Once the dogs have scored a truffle, stop for an on-the-spot tasting of this prized treat with some fresh ricotta cheese — the perfect pairing to counterbalance the truffle's earthy, pungent flavor.
Your tour includes roughly three hours hiking around the forest in search of truffles. Stop along the way to admire and take photos of the fabulous landscape, and learn about Italy's history, traditions and techniques of truffle hunting. After descending back down the mountain, meet back up with your driver and travel to a nearby restaurant for a 3-course lunch. Each dish is made with local Campania products and enhanced with the rich, complex flavors of local truffles. Wash your meal down with some Italian wine, and follow it up with a rich coffee and
digestif (perhaps grappa or amaro).
Finally, relax on your scenic journey back to Pompeii, and finish your day with a hotel drop-off.
Departure Point :Your centrally located Pompeii hotel
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please make a note of any specific dietary requests in the 'Special Requirements' field when booking
- Please wear comfortable clothes and appropriate shoes for walking
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.