Private Walking Tour of the Sassi of Matera
This tour is unique because it contains all the must-see monuments of Matera! We will range from the Paleolithic, to the Middle Ages to the 50s to reveal all the secrets of a fantastic city, sculpted to become exactly on a human scale.
Do you know why our ancestors decided to stay in Matera for thousands of years despite the scarcity of Basilicata water? Do you know why Matera is a UNESCO World Heritage city? Come and find out with this tour!
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Casa Grotta entrance tickets
- Rock Church entrance tickets
- Entry/Admission - Casa Grotta nei Sassi
- Entry/Admission - Church of Saint Mary of Idris
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Sassi di Matera, Piazza Vittorio Veneto, 75100, Matera Italy
You will enter the history of Matera: city-heritage site with this tour dedicated to the Sassi.
Together we will venture through the suggestive streets of the Sasso Caveoso to discover its origins, its history and numerous environments excavated in the rock that can still be visited.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Cattedrale di Matera, Piazza del Duomo, Matera Italy
We will visit the Cathedral of Matera, an example of Apulian Romanesque style and named after the Madonna delle Bruna. The latter is the Marian effigy dearest to Matera and is celebrated during the homonymous festival on July 2nd.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Casa Grotta nei Sassi, Vico Solitario, 11, 75100 Matera MT, Italy
We will enter a cave house "inhabiting" it for a few moments like Matera from other times. With thought we will become one with the peasant civilization now disappeared for a small emotional journey.
Most peasants lived in these cave houses until 50 years ago: wet, dark and mostly uncoated. We will be able to see those furniture and objects used daily including the grain bin, the high bed with the mattress stuffed with corn leaves and much more.
NB. in the event that this particular cave house is inaccessible, another equivalent will be visited
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Church of Saint Mary of Idris, Via Madonna dell'Idris, 75100 Matera MT, Italy
Visit a rock church among the most significant of the Sassi, the most suitable church (Santa Maria di Idris or Santa Lucia alle Malve) will be chosen by the guide according to the needs of the moment.
Duration: 20 minutes
Departure Point :Via Roma, 1, 75100 Matera MT, Italy
Return Detail :Via Bruno Buozzi, 34, 75100 Matera MT, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.