Private Wild Atlantic Way Beach Horseback Riding Excursion from Galway-Full Day
Experience the Wild Atlantic Way on horseback for a unique way to explore Connemara’s beautiful landscapes, historical sites, beaches, and sea views. On this 2.5 hour tour to Omey Island and across Omey Beach at low tide, you will discover the geology and natural history of the region with a local horse riding guide. Treks are suitable for beginner to advanced horseback riders and include a short assessment of your skills before you head out from the riding center. After a break for lunch, you will take a second 1.5 hour ride along Selerna Beach.
This package includes a public return bus ticket from Galway to Cleggan. The bus ticket will be sent on to you upon booking.
per adult from
What's included :
- Transportation, return City Link bus ticket from Galway to Cleggan. Issued after booking.
- Helmet and boots available for use.
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Omey Island, Claddaghduff Ireland
Arrive at the riding center, you'll gear up for your ride with provided boots and hat; make sure you're wearing appropriate clothing and outerwear for the weather, such as rain and wind. Then head to the horse arena to meet your guide and your horse for the day; your guide will make sure you feel comfortable and safe and evaluate your skills before leaving for your ride to beautiful Omey Beach and Omey Island. Follow your guide off-road, where you will pass Courthoor Lough and can see Connemara ponies in the fields.
Arriving in Claddaghduff, you'll be right on the Wild Atlantic Way, making your way to one of the Signature Points, Omey Island, a designated Special Area of Conservation. On Omey Beach, you have the chance to take pictures and, depending on your level of experience, you can canter or gallop across the white strand; beginners are kept safely in a walk or trot. Then cross Omey Beach, following your guide to the other side of the island, where you have a fantastic view over the Atlantic coast.
Next, make your way back to Omey Beach, where the horses can cool themselves while riding through the sea. Then depart Omey Beach and ride back to the riding center to dismount your horse. You'll have a break for lunch (own expense; one recommendation is Oliver´s), a seafood bar in Cleggan overlooking the harbor.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Selerna Beach, Unnamed Road, Knockbrack, Co. Galway, Ireland
Depart and head through the village toward Selerna Beach, a scenic, crescent-shaped stretch of sand that looks toward Inishbofin Island to the west and the mouth of Cleggan Bay to the east. Walk, trot, or gallop across this quiet WIld Atlantic Way shoreline, admiring a megalithic wedgetomb up on the field to the right of the beach. Spend some time appreciating the ocean views and islands beyond before turning back along the back roads, with their many horses, cows, and sheep in the fields and the Twelve Bens mountain range in the background. Return to the riding center.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Departure Point :Galway Coach Station, Fairgreen Rd, Galway, H91 C2VX, Ireland
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Times for rides are dependent on the tide; after booking, a voucher for the beach horseback ride will be supplied with ride times and details for date booked. Please print out the voucher and bring with you to validate
- Your City Link bus ticket for round-trip bus transport will be supplied after booking. Please print out and bring with you to validate
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Bring/wear appropriate clothing and outerwear for rain and wind.
- Please advise of your riding experience i.e. beginners, intermediate (10 years plus regular riding) or advanced (15 years plus regular riding)
- In the interest of animal welfare the max rider weight is 90kg/200lbs
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.