Private Wine Country Day Trip to Eger (from Budapest)
Visit the wineries and the township of beautiful Eger, Hungary’s northernmost red-wine-producing region on this private day trip from Budapest. With a private wine-expert guide, taste five to eight wines at each of three wineries including ‘Bull’s Blood’ (Egri Bikavér), the region’s most prominent red. Though better known for its reds, it also produces many whites (including native varietals like Leányka and Királyleányka).
Several of Eger’s best wineries are located in villages outside of town, but the town of Eger itself has played an important role in Hungary’s history, and is worth taking some time to explore. After taking a spin around town, you’ll be treated to a traditional Hungarian 3-course lunch, and cheeses and cured meats will accompany your final wine tasting.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Travel in a smoke-free, air-conditioned private car or minivan with a private driver
- Bottles of mineral water and light snacks for the car ride
- Up to three winery visits/tastings with generous tastings of 5-8 wines
- A generous three-course lunch
- Tasting sheets for you to take wine notes
- A cold plate of local products at one of the wineries
What's excluded :
- Additional admissions to museums, sights, etc.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Eger, Eger, Heves County, Northern Hungary
Travel to the Eger, Hungary’s northernmost wine-producing region (about a 1.5 hour drive) in a private air-conditioned minivan. Eger has a 1,000-year wine making history, and is known for its blends, and its medieval cellars, many carved from the local, soft ‘tufa’ rocks and cliffs. You'll visit three wineries during the day, and tour a vineyard to see the grapes close up. At each winery, you'll taste five to eight wines, including some contemporary Bull’s Bloods (which are much improved from the mass-produced varieties of the Communist era). Between wineries, visit the historic town of Eger, once the northernmost point of the Ottoman Empire, known for its Baroque architecture. Explore the cobbled lanes leading to the 13th-century castle and cathedral, and perhaps climb the town’s 16th-century minaret — a reminder of Ottoman rule. Have a 3-course lunch at a local restaurant. At your last winery, complement your tasting with a selection of local cheese.
Duration: 8 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please let us know where you are staying. We'll get in touch the day before the tour with the exact pick-up time (approximately 9am).
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Our regular private tours are ran from a minimum number of 3 people.
- For larger groups we are happy to prepare custom offers. Please contact us for a customized price proposal
- Vegetarian option is available; please make a note in the 'special requirements' field when booking
- As this is a private tour, feel free to customize your itinerary to fit any personal preferences you have
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.