Progreso Shore Excursion: Merida City Tour & Dzibilchaltun
While in port in Progreso, explore the Yucatan on a shore excursion to colonial Merida and the ancient Mayan city of Dzibilchaltun. See the lovely mansions and churches of Merida’s Paseo de Montejo and gain entry to the Gran Museo del Mundo Maya (The Grand Mayan World Museum). Then visit the nearby archaeological site and learn about excavations at the Temple of the Seven Dolls. Stop for a swim at the Xlacah Cenote before return transport by Mercedes minivan.
per adult from
What's included :
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Professional English- and Spanish-speaking guide
- Soft drinks while on board vehicle
- Entrance fee to the Gran Museo del Mundo Maya
What's excluded :
- Food (available for purchase)
- Entrance to the archaeological site of Dzibilchaltun
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Paseo de Montejo, Merida Mexico
Your shore excursion to Merida and the Dzibilchaltun archeological site (entrance doesn't include) begins with a shuttle ride to a specific meeting point from the Progreso port at 8:30am. Once you reach the meeting point, you meet your guide and relax in your plush reclining seat on a luxurious Mercedes Benz minivan as you take in the sights along the Yucatan Peninsula and enjoy soft drinks on board the vehicle.
Upon arrival in Merida, embark on a panoramic city tour with your knowledgeable guide, who will point out important sites of interest. Get to know Merida’s delightful and bustling city center, which boasts plenty of colonial churches and mansions to admire. You’ll become acquainted with the fashionable Paseo de Montejo, a tree-lined avenue built at the turn of the 19th century and famous for its beautiful French-style residences.
Referred to as ‘the white city,’ (La Ciudad Blanca) for its clean, white buildings that seem to sparkle in the sunshine, Merida was established when the henequen industry was at its peak. Admire the wrought iron railings, carved wooden doors and charming courtyards as you stroll along the lovely boulevard.
Pass By: Gran Museo del Mundo Maya, Calle 60 Norte No. 299-E Revolucion, Merida 97113 Mexico
Your guide will make a stop at the The Grand Mayan World Museum – a perfect place to encounter Yucatecan history and cultural identity. With approximately 750,000 objects in its collection, the vast and contemporary exhibition space presents the Mayan civilization as a continuously living culture that has survived beyond the glory of its archaeological past.
Pass By: Dzibilchaltun Ruins, Merida 156782 Mexico
After stopping for lunch in the museum cafeteria (own expense), continue 10 miles (16 km) north to the archaeological site of Dzibilchaltun. Once a major Mayan city, Dzibilchaltun was continuously occupied for thousands of years before it became a villa with an open chapel during the colonial era. Follow your guide to the Temple of the Seven Dolls, where numerous stucco decorations as well as seven small figurines were excavated from under the ruins of a later temple pyramid.
Pass By: Cenote Xlacah, Zona Arqueologica de Dzibilchaltun, Merida 97305 Mexico
Finally, head to the Xlacah Cenote, located at the center of the city ruins. Believed to have been sacred to the ancient Maya and used in ritual – due to the artifacts retrieved from its 140-foot (43-meter) depths – the cenote is now used as a swimmin
Departure Point :Cruise Ship Shuttle Bus Stop, Boulevard Turístico Malecón, 97320 Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 2 passengers is required.
- Important: availability based on the cruise line itinerary.
- Tour departs from Progreso cruise ship port
- Please wear light, comfortable clothing & walking/hiking shoes. Bring your best camera.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.