Punta Cana: 6-Hours Morning Private Made In Higuey Shopping Tour
There is so much more to the Dominican Republic than sun and beaches. Learn about the island’s fascinating culture and heritage through its most popular exports on a unique and lively shopping tour of Higuey. Visit hidden factories, workshops, markets and shops with a local guide who will help you to buy the best souvenirs ever! Along the way we’ll stop to admire some of the city’s most impressive architecture, learn more about the lifestyle of a typical Dominican and enjoy a traditional lunch at the home of a local family. Did we mention that we’ve negotiated factory prices for you? This is definitely
the best way to shop for original handicrafts and souvenirs in Higuey and get a proper introduction to the island, too!
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Transport in a private vehicle
- Lunch in a local home consisting of traditional Dominican food
- Pick-up at centrally located hotels in Punta Cana
What's excluded :
- Additional food or drinks
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- After a short ride in a comfortable, private vehicle from Punta Cana to Higuey, your tour will begin with an introduction to the history and culture of the island, outside the impressive Basilica de Higuey Cathedral. The cathedral is home to the La Altagracia Virgin, and we’ll stop to admire the modern architecture and hear the old colonial legend about how the celebrated painting of the Virgin first appeared. There will also be an opportunity to look at and purchase religious-themed art and gifts before we move on to take a look around San Dionicio’s Sanctuary.
After a short stroll to get to know the neighbourhood, we’ll arrive at a traditional saddlery to see how the famous Higueyan horse saddle is made. You’ll watch local artisans painstakingly stitching the leather together as you find out what makes these particular saddles so special.
Then we’ll lead you to a handmade cigar factory, where you will see how Dominican cigars are produced and find out why they are considered some of the best in the world. You can try one if you wish and buy cigars at a special factory price.
Next up, we are going to delight you with a visit to one of our favourite galleries to peruse the colourful artworks on offer. Watch the talented artists at work in the workshop and discover African, Haitian and Aboriginal-inspired works of art. We’ll give you plenty of time to browse and shop for a piece to take home with you.
A further walk through the buzzing streets of the city will take us to a very special artisanal shop that boasts an excellent selection of wooden handicrafts and musical instruments, as well as fine jewellery. Find out more about the Dominican Republic’s precious stones, such as amber and larimar, the latter of which is particularly special as it can only be found here on the island.
Our next stop will be the vibrant fruit and vegetable market, which boasts an extraordinary variety of food and flavours to taste. Your guide will talk to you about the most popular spices used on the island before taking you to visit another market known for its traditional medicines and potions.
Our walk will then take us to the home of a local family home where you will try some traditional Dominican food and get refreshed with an ice cold beer.
After lunch, we’ll make one last stop to pick up dessert at a local bakery famous for their sweet delicacies, including delicious rice and milk treats and coconut and banana bread.
Our shopping tour ends here. Don’t forget to ask your guide for tips on which restaurants to visit and secret local spots to call into. We are also very happy to help you find the best way back to your accommodation.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up at centrally located hotels in Punta Cana.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
- We recommend that you wear comfortable shoes for walking, and sunscreen and sunglasses are usually advisable.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.