Rethymno Gastronomy Tour
Our first stop will be to a picturesque "kafenio", to have a Greek coffee exactly as the locals do, with the traditional extra thin handmade cheese pie "sfakianopita" with thyme honey on top, the perfect way to begin your day. There is nobody, either Cretan or not, who is not going to visit the oldest "phyllo" workshop while in Rethymno and won't try his baklava! In the old town of Rethymno, a Venetian mansion houses the workshop of Mr Hatziparashos, the last traditional phyllo master, making traditional pastry. Just give it a try! Discover the narrow streets and stone-built old magnificent traditional houses in the alleys on our way to "mezedopolio''. One of the first of its kind in the city, learn how a local enjoys a homemade raki with the appropriate mezedes. Following stop, a stone-built bakery with the most crunchy, scrumptious loukoumades with honey, in the whole city! They will surely accompany you till the last stop at Fortezza castle as we will finish our gastronomic trip.
per adult from
2 to 3 hours
What's included :
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Bottled water
- Alcoholic Beverages - Raki
- Entry/Admission - Kimolia
- Entry/Admission - Handmade Traditional Philo Workshop
- Entry/Admission - Τα 2 ρου
- Entry/Admission - Olive Oil Products
- Entry/Admission - earth flavors
What's excluded :
- Ticket to the Fortezza
- Extra charge if the pickup is not in Rethymno district
- Entry/Admission - The Venetian Fortezza
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kimolia, Xristou, Makri 11, Rethymno 741 00, Greece
A beautiful "kafeneio" in a unique scenery, where you can enjoy a authentic Cretan breakfast which includes a traditional Greek coffee with a handmade extra thin cheese pie as we called it "sfakianopita" covered with their homemade thyme honey and there will be an introduction to the historical imposing monuments, traditions, customs, and the connection to Cretan Gastronomy.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Handmade Traditional Philo Workshop, 30, Vernardou, Rethymno 731 33, Greece
Travelers will be able to see in the old town of Rethymno, a Venetian mansion of 17th century where is Giorgos Chatziparaschos traditional philo Workshop, the oldest of its kind for making ''kantaifi'' and ''baklava'' philo for 63 years now. While the ingredients are simple - flour, water and some salt - the proportions according to Hatziparaschos took years of testing. Traditional philo is an essential ingredient for traditional syrupy sweets dipped in honey, such as kadaifi and baklava. If you are lucky, you will watch the master on the job. A fluid mixture falls into a special machine at the back room that butter aromas are spreading in space and a hot copper pan doesn't stop turning. Above the flames, hundreds of thin and baked strings of kadaifi are created. Sprinkled with the right balance of cinnamon and chopped walnuts, kadaifi is one of the most favorite sweets.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Τα 2 ρου, Κορωναίου Πάνου 28, Rethymno 741 00, Greece
Homemade Cretan cuisine with local ingredients in a retro space full of photographic memories of old Rethymnon, in a quiet alley of the old town. At this stop, you will meet the owner Mr. Gregory who is really nice, friendly and kind, a genuine pesonality as if he is from a movie. His little traditional hospitable ''mezedopolio'', is a real treasure. You can feel like a local, drinking his homemade aromatic raki and tasting the qualitied and delicious ''mezedes''.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Olive Oil Products, Σουλίου 8, Rethymno 741 00, Greece
After a short walk, we will head to a small shop with Cretan natural products so as to try the taste of genuine Cretan thyme honey and learn the history as well as the collecting honey process. It is very important that it is produced in the mountains. Especially when these mountains belong to a truly unspoiled environment away from the urban pollution, in a local ecosystem of extremely dense aromatic flora of endemic, self-sown flower plants, trees and shrubbery.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: earth flavors, Eth. Antistaseos 15, Rethymno 741 00, Greece
It is the most appropriate place to continue the honey tasting in combination with the best ''loukoumades'' in the whole city! Incredibly crunchy from the outside, but so soft inside, sprinkled with smashed walnuts, sesame and cinnamon powder...simply amazing !
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: The Venetian Fortezza, Rethymnon, Crete Greece
Up to this point, you will be fully informed about the history of our town all the monuments,that we have passed by and the secret local spots you should definitely visit. The end of the tour will be in front of the gates of the Fortezza castle where you will have time to wander around and get fascinated by the view. Due to the fact that the escort of this tour is not considered as an official guide, it is forbidden to enter with you inside the castle. If our travelers wish to have an official guide we would be happy to book one upon communication.
Duration: 5 minutes
Departure Point :Church Of Four Martyrs, Gerakari 6, Rethymno 741 00, Greece
Departure Time :10:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.