Rhodope Mountains: Mysteries in the Orpheus lands
The legend of the Rhodopes was told by the Thracians to Herodotus, the father of history, and he recorded it. It tells the story of the mystical king Hemus, who loved his wife Rhodope so much that he called her by the name of the deity Hera. She, in turn, called him Zeus. In their love game, they unconsciously mocked the gods. Understanding, Zeus decided to punish them. He turned the sinners into mountains that were forever separated by miles. Love like a flower, torn off forever … but not dead, because their memory remains eternal!
This is a tour for hikers, who love nature, culture, and history. Rhodope mountains are the widest one in Bulgaria, hiding archeological sites and pretty villages. Come in the mountain of love!
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Professional guide
- Tickets for the museums
- Wine degustation
- Breakfast and diner for the 4 days
What's excluded :
- Personal expenses
- Extra food and drinks
The fame of the musician Orpheus spread over the territories of Thrace and Greece. On his wedding day, his wife Eurydice was bitten by a snake and died. He embarked on a long journey to the Underworld, the kingdom of Hades, to save his beloved and bring her back to the world of the living. With his sad songs, he captured not only Hades but also his wife Persephone, who asked the king to make an exception. The king of the dead agreed on one condition – Orpheus must not turn to see Eurydice while they were within his kingdom. The singer broke the stipulation – he wanted to make sure Eurydice was following him, he wanted to see her face – the next moment her shadow disappeared.
Orpheus was left alone in the world of the living. With his music and poems, Orpheus became a reformer for his time, creating a doctrine. The Orpheus Mysteries competed with the Dionysus.
Тoday the Rhodopes are an attractive place for archaeologists, adventurers, poets, wine lovers, people looking for love, and harmony of nature.
If you like hiking, exploring legends, and new cultures, the Rhodope mountains are waiting at you!
• Dorkovo, Dorkovo, Pazardzhik Province
• Shiroka Laka, Shiroka Laka, Smolyan Province
• Devin, Devin, Smolyan Province
• Tsigov Chark, Tsigov Chark, Pazardzhik Province
• Borino, Borino, Smolyan Province
• Yagodina Cave, Rhodope Mountains, Yagodina 4835 Bulgaria
• Diavolsko Garlo- The Devil's Throat, Trigrad Bulgaria
• Trigrad, Trigrad, Smolyan Province
• Gela, Gela, Smolyan Province
• Pamporovo, Pamporovo, Smolyan Province
• The Wonderful Bridges, Smolyan Bulgaria
• Bachkovo Monastery, 10km south of Asenovgrad on the main road between Assenovgrad and Smolyan, Bachkovo 4251 Bulgaria
• Bachkovo, Bachkovo, Plovdiv Province
• Assenova krepost (Asen's Fortress), Asenovgrad 4000 Bulgaria
• Asenovgrad, Asenovgrad, Plovdiv Province
• Plovdiv, Plovdiv, Plovdiv Province
• Pliocene Park, Dorkovo Bulgaria
• Villa Yustina, Nikola Petkov Str. 51, Ustina 4228 Bulgaria
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offeredPorts
- Vrazdebna, Враждебна, ул. „Батарея“ 77А, 1839 София, Bulgaria
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.