Rila Monastery and Boyana Church Day Tour from Sofia
Discover two of Bulgaria’s UNESCO World Heritage gems on this day trip from Sofia. Traveling by minibus, admire rural Bulgaria on route to the Rila Monastery in the pine-carpeted Rila Mountains. Take a guided tour of the medieval treasure with its fresco-coated church, and visit its fascinating museum. Then, after time to explore independently, continue to Boyana Church, near Sofia, to marvel at its spectacular pre-Renaissance frescoes. Entrance fees not included.
per adult from
What's included :
- Fuel surcharge
- Professional guide
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Admission to Boyana Church (approx. 5 euros pp) and Rila Monastery Museum (approx. 4 euros pp)
- Audio guide at Rila Monastery (approx. 5 euros per person)
- Entry/Admission - Boyana Church
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral, Aleksander Nevski Square, Sofia Bulgaria
Rila Monastery Shuttle Bus Starting Point, ул. Oborishte +, ul. "19-ti February", 1000 Sofia Center, Sofia, Bulgaria, pass by without stopping.
Stop At: Boyana Church, 3 Boyansko Ezero Str., Sofia 1616 Bulgaria
Boyana Church is a small temple at the outskirts of Sofia with frescoes dating back to three separate periods: the 11th, 13th, and 19th centuries. The most important and fascinating are the frescoes dating from 1259. They are Renaissance frescoes that predate the Italian Renaissance (triggered by the works of Giotto) and break the strict Christian canon law to present pure human emotions, royal figures, and folklore elements.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Rila Monastery, Rila 2643 Bulgaria
Rila Monastery is one of Bulgaria’s symbols and a popular tourist destination. The monastery is set deep in the heart of Rila Mountain, between the Rilska and Drushliavitza Rivers, at 1147 meters (3760 feet) above sea level. It is situated 120 kilometers south of Sofia.
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Rila Monastery Shuttle Bus Starting Point, ул. Оборище +, ul. "19-ti fevruari", 1000 Sofia Center, Sofia, Bulgaria
Return to the starting point at approximately 17:00
Departure Point :1: ploshtad "Sveti Aleksandar Nevski", pl. "Sveti Aleksandar Nevski", 1000 Sofia Center, Sofia, Bulgaria
2: Boyana Church Museum, ul. "Boyansko ezero" 3, 1616 Bojana, Sofia, Bulgaria
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Dress code is smart casual
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.