Rila monastery Private Day Tour From Sofia
Rila monastery is Bulgaria's holiest place and one of the country's most remarkable historical sites and a must see during your stay in Bulgaria. Join our private day tour and we guarantee you a wonderful day in which we will reveal to you the secrets of the monastery, its church and the life of St. John of Rila...oh and of the amazing grilled Rila trout.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air conditioned car
- Entrance fee for Rila monastery museum
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Rila Monastery, Rila 2643 Bulgaria
Your tour will start at 9.00 o'clock from your hotel. After hour and a half driving we will reach the foot of Rila mountain. Here we will stop for a nice pictures of this wonderful place. We will catch in one frame the majesty of the mountain, the beauty of the valley and the nice small town of Kocherinovo.
After another half an hour we will reach the parking lot in front of Rila monastery. The first touch to this amazing place is one of a kind. In front of us like proud giants will stand the 22 meters high walls of the monastery, protecting the prayers of the pilgrims inside. They, in turn, are guarded by the magnificent mountain hills behind them, some more than 2000 meters high.
We will spend here somewhere two hours, admiring the beauty of Bulgaria's biggest monastery. We will start with the monastery museum, where the artifacts from 10th till 19th century will reveal to us the amazing history of this place. Here we will see one masterpiece - the Rafail's cross, a unique of its kind cross, made from a single wood piece, in which are carved 36 different scenes from the Bible.
After the museum we will proceed towards the church of "Nativity of Marry". Here we will speak about the history of the orthodoxity and admiring the lovely frescoes of the inner and outer galleries.
Before we stop for a lunch, we will visit the cave of St. John of Rila. The establisher of the monastery complex still is considered as the protector of the Bulgarian nation and his relics are still miraculous. Here we will speak about his amazing live and even enter the cave to purify our souls according to the legend.
After that we will stop for a lunch, where we can try the specialty of the place - the fresh Rila trout and continue the conversation about this lovely site. After Lunch we will depart back to Sofia.
Our tour will finish somewhere at 17.30 o'clock at your hotel with a memories for a pleasant day spent at a remarkable place, unique of its kind and one of the most important for the whole Bulgarian country.
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pickups are from your hotel in Sofia. Please provide the name of the hotel at thetime of booking in order to arrange a pick up.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- A maximum of 3 people per booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.