Rome's Underground Gem: St Clement's Hidden Temples Tour
Embark on an unexpected experience a stone's throw from the Colosseum: venture 14 meters below St Clement’s Basilica to discover a fascinating world of forgotten pagan cults and early-Christian legends and frescoes. Cross three layers of history and earth with a small group of maximum 8 participants.
Travel back in time and immerse into a mystical atmosphere deep underground
per adult from
1 hour 15 minutes
What's included :
- All Fees and Taxes
- Sterilized headsets to hear your guide clearly
- Full on-site assistance
- One mask per person if required
- Use of hand-sanitising gel during the tour
- Entry/Admission - Basilica of San Clemente
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Touriks, Via di S. Giovanni in Laterano, 132, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
This is your meeting point. Here you will check in, have a seat if you prefer, benefit WiFi internet access and use the toilet.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Basilica of San Clemente, Via Labicana 95, 00184 Rome Italy
Venture deep underground below ground into a mystical world of ancient cults and early legends.
Go back in time down to the deepest point and discover the best-preserved Mithraic temple of the city. Find out about the pagan cult of Ancient Romans before Christianity and be intrigued by its sectarian and esoteric side.
Learn about the early-Christian persecutions and martyrs and hear the legend of St. Clement whilst standing in the 1st Century structure that was once his home.
Feel the eerie atmosphere and touch the waters of an underground stream.
Journey higher into the remains of the 4th Century Basilica, built on top of the martyr’s house and below the actual one. Walk along its imposing walls and be fascinated by the ancient frescoes while learning about the scenes and the lives of the martyrs they portray.
End your tour in the beautiful 12th-century Basilica at ground level. Marvel at the stunning golden mosaic in the apse and learn about the hidden symbolism in it.
Duration: 1 hour 10 minutes
Departure Point :Via di S. Giovanni in Laterano, 132, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Please be at the meeting point 5 minutes before the tour starts.
- An appropriate dress-code is required in order to enter the churches: knees and shoulders should be covered.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes: a moderate amount of walking is involved.
- This tour is subject to weather conditions and/or liturgic-calendar events. If canceled you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 participants
- Not recommended for customers with claustrophobia
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.