Rwandan Food Tour and Cooking Class
This food tour combines a good taste of traditional food and stories about Rwandan culture!
Start your day with a Rwandan breakfast in the old town, enjoy chapati, African tea and Mandazi.
We then make our way to a popular Market, and learn how traditional ‘Isombe’ is made using pounding. Walking your way through the alleys, you will find yourselves among merchants, you will taste exotic fruits and shop plantains.
You will discover the street food, learn how "Rolex" is made and taste the best Samosas in town. On to the next stop, we stop at a famous Rwandan milk bar where you will taste fresh and fermented milk, known as "Ikivuguto".
You will proceed to our garden kitchen for a cooking class. You will learn how to make Ugali (African porridge) and a Rwandan dish called “Igisafuriya” (a mixture of potatoes, peanuts sauce, green bananas and chicken). Our chef will share the secrets to making Akabenz, goat and beef brochettes.
We finally taste “Urwagwa” a home-made traditional wine.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Fruits & Snacks
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Private transportation
- English or French speaking guide
- Pickup and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Kimironko Market
What's excluded :
- Wine & Liquors
- Entry permits (Parks)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kimironko Market, 194 St Kg, Kigali Rwanda
We’ll make our way to the popular Kimironko Market, and learn how traditional ‘Isombe’ is made using pounding. Walking your way through the alleys, you will find yourselves among merchants, you will smell and feel the exotic fruits, you will shop the banana plantains.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Nyamirambo, Kigali, Rwanda
Nyamirambo is the old town and home to some of best joints for local food and milk bars.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Gikondo, Kigali, Rwanda
Our guide will take you to Yambi Garden kitchen for a fun cooking class. We learn how to make Ugali (African porridge) and a Rwandan dish called “Igisafuriya” (a mixture of potatoes, peanuts sauce, green bananas and chicken stews).
You will also join a fun BBQ class and learn how to cook with charcoal grills. Our chef will share the secrets to making Akabenz porc as well as goat and beef brochettes served with Mizuzu (plantains) and green bananas.
We finally close our food experience on a high note, we taste “Urwagwa” a pure, home-made Rwandan traditional wine that makes people in the village speak in tongues.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Yambi Guesthouse, KK 722 Street, Gikondo - Rebero opposite Rujugiro House, Kigali, Rwanda
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.