Samaria Gorge Hike from Heraklion region
A unique walk through the Samaria Gorge, the largest in Europe, with a length of about 18 kilometers, will allow you not only to admire the breathtaking views and the wildlife, but also to test yourself.
Samaria Gorge is located in the heart of the majestic "White Mountains", south of Omalos plateau. Tourist route begins at an altitude of 1250 meters above sea level along the trail with wooden fences, laid down the mountainside. The narrowest and probably the most picturesque place called "Portes" - gates, where cliffs rise to a height of 500 meters, while the width of the river gorge at only 3-4 meters. 47 bridges cross the river Tarraios passing through the White Mountains and the valley. You will meet with the inhabitants of the reserve - wild goats Kri-Kri or see rare species of orchids.
After 4-6 hours of walking, you will get out to the beautiful Agia Roumeli beach, where you can swim in its crystal waters and have lunch. The boat will take you back to the bus.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick-up from hotels of the HERAKLION region (at the specific bus stops outside of your hotel)
- Certified tour guide
- Transfer with air-conditioned bus
What's excluded :
- Ticket entrance to Samaria National Park (5 euro)
- Ticket for the boat from Agia Roumeli (11 euro)
- Lunch, breakfast, water, any other individual expenses.
The Samaria gorge is located on a height of 1227 meters above sea level. This is the longest gorge in Europe: 18km pathway and width from 3 to 300 meters.
The walking tour begins in the early morning from Omalos plateau 43 km from the city of Chania. Walking time is about 5-6 hours, so be sure to take some water and something to eat. Before entering the gorge and at the exit there are taverns where you can dine, and throughout the whole journey you will have to be content with only your own reserves. Descenting along the picturesque mountain stream will take you to the southern coast of the island to Agia Roumeli. After relaxing and swimming in the crystal clear waters of the Libyan Sea, you will go on a small boat along the southern coast of Crete to the port of Chora Sfakon where you will wait for the bus.
Take very seriously the decision to visit the gorge, especially if you have health problems such as high blood pressure, heart disease, diseases of the musculoskeletal system. The path has to be overcome at a sufficiently energetic pace with the air temperature reaching sometimes up to thirty-odd degrees in the shade.
• Agia Roumeli, Hora Sfakion 730 11, Greece
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up from your hotel (at the specific tourist bus stop, outside of the hotel, no more than 800m walking). After you book, we will contact you to inform you about the pick-up location.
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- If an infant does not sit on lap in the bus, It is necessary to pay a child ticket.
- Pick-up from the specific bus stops next to the hotels. From Area 1: all the villages between Fodele, Agia Pelagia, Xeropotamos(West Heraklion), Area 2: Heraklion Center and East, Carteros, Kokkini Hani, Gouves, Gournes, Hersonissos, Stalida, Malia, Sissi.
- After booking we will contact you to arrange the pick-up. Please, note, if you do not provide your pick-up details up to 24 hours before the tour, we do not guarantee the pick-up. For pick-up from different location, please, contact us.
- NOTE: It is a 18 kilometers walk along very rocky path, sometimes steep.
- Visiting the gorge is usually recommended for children over 7 years old, who like to walk a lot. Infants only in a special carriers.
- The tour starts at 06.00am and you will be back at your hotel around 10.00pm, depending on the pick up location.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.