San Antonio de los Cobres Day Trip from Salta
Follow part of the route of Argentina’s famous Train to the Clouds on a scenic round-trip drive from Salta to the mountain town of San Antonio de los Cobres. As you climb in elevation during the drive, travel through Quebrada del Toro’s dense greenery and breathtaking gorge dotted with cacti. Cross viaducts and bridges, including Alisal and Chorrillo, and visit the pre-Incan archaeological gem of Santa Rosa de Tastil. Explore the quiet mining town of San Antonio de los Cobres, from where you’ll capture views of Polvorilla Viaduct.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional guide
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- Food & Drinks
- Entrance fee to Archaeological Museum in Santa Rosa de Tastil
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Tangol, Salta Argentina
Your day trip from Salta starts with hotel pickup for the 100-mile (160-km) drive northwest of town to San Antonio de los Cobres.
Stop At: Quebrada Del Toro (The Toro Gorge), from Campo Quijano to Puerta Tastil Argentina
Your route parallels Argentina’s famous railway, Train to the Clouds (Tren a las Nubes), but on this tour, enjoy the comfort of disembarking as your group pleases for photo ops of the incredible Andean scenery. Reach your first sightseeing marvel after about two hours, Quebrada del Toro (Gorge of the Bull). Admire views of El Toro viaduct, a 79-foot (24-meter) bridge built between the 1920s and ‘40s, that crosses the gorge, and pass by the bridges of Alisal and Chorrillo. Your guide provides engaging commentary on history and local geology, which spans the spectrum from dense vegetation to rocky landscapes strewn with cacti. See if you can spot cardones, a native plant resembling celery.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Ruinas de Tastil, Rosario de Lerma, Salta Province, Argentina
Travel through the charming villages of El Candado, El Gólgota and Alfarcito. Depending on your group, make stops in the towns to stretch your legs and snap pictures.
Continue and disembark at the tiny rural village of Santa Rosa de Tastil, where you’ll visit the ruins of a mysterious pre-Incan city. As you walk through the arid and rocky terrain, your guide points out remnants that used to be housing and streets of this former civilization. Find out more inside the archaeological museum (entrance fee is an additional expense), and if you’re hungry, purchase a light snack in the village.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Abra Blanca, Ruta Nacional N 51, San Antonio de los Cobres Argentina
Back in your air-conditioned vehicle, pass through Finca La Encrucijada, ascend Muñano Cliff and reach Abra Blanca, the highest point on the road between Salta and San Antonio de los Cobres, at a height of 13,386 feet (4,080 meters). Take in sweeping views of the gorge and perhaps catch sight of condors swooping over the valley or llamas clopping up a mountainside.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: RN40, San Antonio de los Cobres, Salta, Argentina
Then make the final stretch to San Antonio de los Cobres, one of Argentina’s highest-elevation towns at 12,300 feet (3,750 meters), and enjoy views of the often-photographed Polvorilla Viaduct. During your two hours here, learn about the town whose name is taken from nearby Sierra de Cobre (Copper Mountain). Explore at your leisure and buy lunch at one of the local restaurants serving regional dishes. Wander the streets lined with traditional adobe houses, browse the handicraft stalls and admire the views of the surrounding Andes.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Salta Cabildo, Calle Caseros 541, Salta A4400DMK Argentina
When it’s time to go, return to Salta the way you came, but with no stops. Your day trip ends with hotel drop-off.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Gral. Martin Güemes 34, A4400 Salta, Argentina
Traveler pickup is offered
The pick up transfer is only from selected centrally located hotels. If your hotel is outside the geographic area, we will confirm you the closest meeting point. Indicate the name and address of your hotel.
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of two passengers per booking is required.
- It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes and bring a jacket/sweater and sunscreen.
- Note: San Antonio de los Cobres sits at an elevation of more than 12,000 feet, which may cause altitude sickness for some; it is recommended that you drink plenty of hot tea or water prior to the tour and carry any necessary medication.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- It is the passenger's responsibility to wear a protective mask and maintain distance. In case they don't respect the basic safety measures, they will be asked to leave the tour. The capacity of tour will be temporarily reduced to ensure social distancing.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.