San Jose Walking Tour: Food, History and Architecture
Learn about local life in San Jose through its architecture, history and food. This 3-hour walking tour shows you the typical lifestyle of the capital as you stroll through the streets with a knowledgeable local guide. Get to know the city through its grand markets and coffee history, ending at Mercado Central (Central Market) where you’ll sip Costa Rican coffee and sample some tasty food. Numbers are limited to 12 people, ensuring an intimate experience with a small group.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
- Food tastings
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Start your San Jose walking tour at a café in Mercado Borbón (Borbón Market), where you’ll meet your guide and relax with a rich cup of morning coffee. Then take a stroll through the market, tasting fresh fruit and learning more about the agricultural history of the area.
You’ll visit a number of stands, from a coffee stand where you'll learn about the Costa Rican chorrado brewing method, to a local folk medicine stand. Your guide shares insight about the market and coffee and their impact on the history of San Jose’s citizens.
Discover more local history when you continue to the Central Market, a San Jose historical treasure. You’ll find no better place to experience the local cuisine than this market, established in 1882 and full to the brim with typical Costa Rican food and drink. As you explore the labyrinth of culinary choices with your guide by your side, sample local specialties and sip your second Costa Rican coffee of the day.
Complete your walking tour here, armed with a wealth of historical information, culinary know-how and perhaps even some local lingo to continue exploring on your own.
Departure Point :Banco Central de Costa Rica, Av. central y 1, calles 2 y 4, Paso De La Vaca, San José, Costa Rica
Return Detail :Central Avenue, Central Ave, San Jose, CA 95125, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 6 years
- The timing of this tour fits perfectly with our Total Bites and Gold Museum tour or our Pura Vida Experience tour, so you can do both in the same day, if you wish!
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- New Meeting Point effective on March 9th: Main entrance of the Costa Rica Central Bank, in between Avenue 1 and Central by the people monument.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.