Seamus Heaney - A Private Journey Through the Poet's HomeGround
This is an intimate and emotional journey through the landscapes and places that inspired the Nobel Prize Winning Irish poet, Seamus Heaney. You will be guided through your experience by Fergal Kearney, who knew the poet personally and has many stories to tell of these inspiring moments.
This is a private experience by private luxury vehicle and will take you to many places referenced in Seamus' many poetry collections, most of which are known only to your guide. Those who have taken this journey with us have often been overwhelmed by the beauty and complexity of Seamus' writing, read aloud to you by your guide in the very places that inspired them.
We look forward to welcoming you and sharing Seamus Heaney' HomeGround. It will be an unforgettable experience.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Private transportation
- Entry/Admission - Queen's University
- Entry/Admission - The Crosskeys Inn
- Entry/Admission - Bellaghy Bawn
- Entry/Admission - Seamus Heaney HomePlace
- Entry/Admission - St Mary's Roman Catholic Church
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic Beverages
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Queen's University, University Road, Belfast BT7 1NN Northern Ireland
The University where Seamus Heaney was awarded a first class honours degree in English and where he was a lecturer in the 1960s. The University has named a library in his honour.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: The Crosskeys Inn, 40 Grange Rd, Toomebridge, Antrim BT41 3QB, UK
Visit Ireland's oldest thatched pub which has been on this spot since 1654. Enjoy the ambience of this ancient public house, frequently visited by Seamus Heaney and enjoy a bird's eye view of his beloved South Derry.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Bellaghy Bawn, 27 Castle Street, Bellaghy, Magherafelt BT45 8LA Northern Ireland
This 17th Century fortified house is a major historical feature in Seamus Heaney's native Bellaghy and hosted the original Seamus Heaney exhibition. Learn about the defining moment in Irish history that still resonates with us today.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Seamus Heaney HomePlace, 45 Main St, Bellaghy, Magherafelt BT45 8HT, UK
You will visit the key sites in the area that inspired some of the Poet's most famous poems: - The Forge at Hillhead; The Strand at Lough Beg; Toner's Bog; Lagan's Road; Anahorish; River Moyola and others.
Then spend the afternoon at the Seamus Heaney HomePlace where you can follow his life's journey and listen to the poet read his own work.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, 25 Ballynease Road, Bellaghy, Magherafelt BT45 8JS Northern Ireland
When Seamus Heaney died unexpectedly in August 2013, many were surprised that he chose his native Bellaghy as his final resting place, rather than Dublin where he had spent most of his adult life. It is fitting that he is buried here 'in the shadow of the beech in the elbow of the stone wall', looking out over his beloved South Derry.
Duration: 15 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up from all Northern Ireland Hotels. Pick up from AirBnB and Bed and Breakfast/Guesthouse. Pick up from Self Catering and Caravan and Camping site.Ports
- Belfast International Airport
- Belfast City Airport
- Belfast Cruise Terminal
- Londonderry Cruise Terminal
Departure Time :11:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Our tours are private, mostly for couples or academic groups, with a minimum of 2 travellers and a maximum of 6, all in private luxury vehicles. Most locations on this experience are in the outdoors. Those that are indoors have put in place all necessary safety protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.