Secret Rome Basilicas and hidden Underground Catacombs Tour
Admire two of the most important Basilicas of the Catholic world and the unforgettable Catacombs. See the worshiped the Holy Stairs at St. John in Lateran. The heart of Christianity from the time of the persecutions to the rise of the Pope's power. A fascinating journey into the history of Catholic Rome, uncover ancient secrets hidden beneath the surface of modern Rome
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pickup (only in hotels listed in central Rome)
- Professional local guide
- Headset don't miss any single word
- All transfers in an air-conditioned coach bus
- Group max 30 partecipants
- Drop-off at S. Maria deglia Angeli e dei Martiri near Metro A stop Repubblica and Termini Station
- Entry/Admission - Catacombs of Saint Callixtus
What's excluded :
- Optional gratuities
- Food and Drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Catacombs of Saint Callixtus, Via Appia Antica 110, 00179 Rome Italy
Sited along the Appian way, these catacombs were built after AD 150, with some private Christian hypogea and a funeral area directly dependent on the Catholic Church. It takes its name from the deacon Saint Callixtus, proposed by Pope Zephyrinus in the administration of the same cemetery - on his accession as pope, he enlarged the complex, that quite soon became the official one for the Roman Church. The arcades, where more than fifty martyrs and sixteen pontiffs were buried, form part of a complex graveyard that occupies fifteen hectares and is almost 20 km (12 mi) long.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Arcibasilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Piazza di Porta San Giovanni, 4, 00184 Rome Italy
The Cathedral of the Most Holy Savior and of Saints John the Baptist and the Evangelist in the Lateran, (Italian: Santissimo Salvatore e Santi Giovanni Battista ed Evangelista in Laterano) – also known as the Papal Archbasilica of St. John [in] Lateran, St. John Lateran, or the Lateran Basilica – is the cathedral church of Rome and serves as the seat of the Roman Pontiff.
It is the oldest and highest ranking of the four papal major basilicas, giving it the unique title of "archbasilica". Because it is the oldest public church in the city of Rome, it is the oldest and most important basilica of the Western world,and houses the cathedra of the Roman bishop, it has the title of ecumenical mother church of the Catholic faithful.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, Piazza di Santa Maria Maggiore 42, 00185 Rome Italy
The basilica enshrines the venerated image of Salus Populi Romani, depicting the Blessed Virgin Mary as the help and protectress of the Roman people, which was granted a Canonical coronation by Pope Gregory XVI on 15 August 1838 accompanied by his Papal bull Cælestis Regina.
Pursuant to the Lateran Treaty of 1929 between the Holy See and Italy, the Basilica is within Italian territory and not the territory of the Vatican City State.However, the Holy See fully owns the Basilica, and Italy is legally obligated to recognize its full ownership to concede to it "the immunity granted by International Law to the headquarters of the diplomatic agents of foreign States
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Via Carlo Alberto, 3, 00185 Roma RM, Italy
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up service available only for centrally located hotels not B&b, apartments or guest houses.
Return Detail :Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri, Piazza della Repubblica, 00185 Roma RM, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Sleeveless shirts and shorts are not permitted inside churches
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.