Secrets of Shabbat - Food walk & Cooking Class in Jerusalem
See what it’s like to make Shabbat dinner in the homes of Jewish Quarter residents. Experience first-hand traditions passed down for generations at this market tour and cooking class!
• Learn how to make and then sample: Shabbat challah, sweet and savory kugles, Israeli salads, traditional fish recipes, and chicken soup with matza balls
• Start in the best stores in Machne Yehuda and take a quick ride to the end of Yaffo street, make your way to the Jewish Quarter and visit the homes of the best cooks in the Quarter
• Communal market tour, cooking class, and dining for 8 to 30 people
per adult from
What's included :
- Visit to the food market and dinner
- Easy-to-follow cooking class for all levels
- Bring home traditional recipes and culinary skills
- Drinks (Coffee, Tea, Soft Drinks, Water)
- Experience first hand the local culture and cuisine
- Unique access to magical homes and beautiful venues
What's excluded :
- Local host Ariella has lived in the Jewish Quarter for 13 years and would love to share its history and food traditions with travelers. She is an author and a student of mysticism who teaches guided meditation and self-mastery. She enjoys sharing the warmth of her home, the comfort of good food, the mystical secrets and history of her city, and the joy of new friendships.
This experience has been hand selected by Eatwith, the world’s largest community for authentic culinary experiences. Eatwith experiences are top rated on TripAdvisor and are loved by thousands of travelers from around the world!
• Food walk - Start in the best stores in Machne Yehuda and then make your way to the Jewish Quarter and visit the homes of the best cooks in the Quarter
• Challah (Traditional Shabbat Bread) - Warm, freshly baked, egg-rich,yeast-leavened and braided bread
• Gefilte fish served with horseradish chrain - A poached mixture of ground carp and whitefish accompanied with a sharp horseradish and beet condiment
• Chiken and matza ball soup with fresh dill - Carrots, onion and gourd stewed to perfection in a golden chicken broth. Seasoned with garlic and dill and served with light matza meal dumplings
• Sweet and savory salads and kugles - A variety of traditional Israeli salads and baked puddings and casseroles
Departure Point :Mahane Yehuda, Jerusalem, Israel
Departure Time :5:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Guests need to communicate if they have any food restrictions (allergy, special diet, etc.)
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.