Shore Excursion: Easter Island to Ahu Akivi, Ahu Vinapu and Puna Pau
Delve into the archaeological mysteries of Easter Island's Rapa Nui National Park on this half-day tour. Stand before ancient 'moai' stone sculptures carved by the indigenous Rapa Nui, learn why the moai at Ahu Akivi face the ocean, and dig deeper on the topic of why the masonry at Ahu Tahai has perplexed experts. You'll also visit the Puna Pau quarry and the great Ahu Uri a Urenga, one of the 25 platforms that are not on the coast, but in the interior of the island and corresponds to an agricultural area
per adult from
What's included :
- Private tour!
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Transportation Insurance
- Bilingual guide (English and Spanish)
- Live commentary on board
What's excluded :
- Entrance Fee to Rapa Nui National Park (CLP 56.000 or USD 80.00)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Rapa Nui National Park, a wildlife sanctuary spread across most of Easter Island and a UNESCO World Heritage site, contains about 900 moai sculptures as well as 300 ahu, or ceremonial platforms, on which the carved figures stand. Sculpted from solidified volcanic ash, these statues are believed to represent the spirits of ancestors and high-ranking members of each tribe. Meet the incredible history of Rapa Nui on this Private Tour!
After Hanga Piko Port pickup from Hanga Roa, travel south with your guide into the park to Ahu Tahai, a ceremonial platform that has a unique moai, a stone giant that stands alone, but which is protected by its more than 4 meters high and its imposing figure.
Continue north to Puna Pau to see how some moai sport a different look. You'll notice they have pukao, or topknots made out of red scoria on their heads. It's believed the volcanic rock was used to impress rival tribes. Roughly 30 pukao are located in or near the Puna Pau quarry, the source of the red scoria.
Then head to Ahu Akivi, where you’ll see a line of seven moai looking out toward the ocean. The moai here each stand 16 feet (5 meters) tall and weigh about 18 tons (16 metric tons). What's mysterious about these sea-facing figures, It's an unusual sight considering the other ahu moai stand with their backs against the water.
One theory behind their unusual position: These moai symbolize the seven explorers from the Polynesian homeland of Hiva sent by the chief to find the island of Rapa Nui. According to this hypothesis, these statues face the ocean in the direction they came from.
Our last point will be The -Ahu Huri a Urenga- one of the 25 platforms that are not on the coast, but in the interior of the island and corresponds to an agricultural area, human settlements.
After your engaging exploration of ahu moai, you’ll be taken back to your hotel.
Departure Point :Easter Island Pier
Departure Time :3:00 PM
Return Detail :Concludes at Easter Island Pier
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Remember that the tour begins from 9:30 AM, please let us know if you have a delay while disembarking.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time, and re-boarding time
- A maximum of 15 people per booking
- Minimum quantity of two passengers to opperate.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Please consider that if the ship can't arrive to the destination due the bad weather conditions and we don't have this information at last 24 hours prior the departure of the tour, we will have to charge the 100% of this booking.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 3 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Organised by Gray Line Chile