Sightseeing Flight over Vatnajökull Volcanic Eruption Sites
Fly over Vatnajökull and see the Grímsvötn eruption site from above on this 45-minute tour from Skaftafell. Grímsvötn is a basaltic volcano located on the northwestern side of the Vatnajökull ice cap. It has the highest eruption frequency of all volcanoes in Iceland. The most recent eruptions in Grímsvötn were in 2011, 2004, 1998 and 1996. Choose from multiple departure times to suit your schedule.
per adult from
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Choose from multiple departure times to suit you, and meet your pilot at the private airport in Skaftafell, where you will be told about the flight plan.
As you take off and fly over Skaftafell, you might notice the unique Svartifoss, located in Vatnajökull National Park. The cliffs surrounding Svartifoss are made of basalt - with the waterfall falling down the basalt cliff and surrounded by wild trees. On your way to Grímsvötn eruption site, you will fly over Vatnajökull, the largest glacier in Iceland. The Grímsvötn eruption site is proven to have the highest eruption frequency in Iceland. At times the crater blows up steam, and being located in the middle of a lake on the glacier makes it a unique and rare photo opportunity. On the way back, your pilot will fly you over Grænalón glacier lagoon and Skeiðarárjökull outlet glacier.
As you land back in Skaftafell, you can take time to chat with your pilot about the route you flew and the sights you saw.
Departure Point :Skaftafell Airport, Flugvallarvegur 3, 785 Öræfi, Iceland
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 7 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.