Skip-the-line Vatican Sistine Chapel St Peter Basilica & John Paul II Tomb Tour
With a top local and very knowledgeable guide join on a comprehensive half-day tour of the Vatican City. Skip the line and see the highlights : Raphael’s Rooms; the Gallery of Maps; the Gallery of Tapestries; collections of ancient Roman and Greek statues; Saint Peter’s Basilica and of course the breathtaking the Sistine Chapel. Avoid big groups and enjoy this visit for 10 people maximum.
per adult from
What's included :
- Guaranteed to skip the long lines
- All activities
- Local guide
- Professional art historian guide
- Entry/Admission - Vatican Museums
- Entry/Admission - Sistine Chapel
- Entry/Admission - St. Peter's Basilica
- Entry/Admission - St. Peter's Square
- Guaranteed to skip the lines
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Vatican Museums, Viale Vaticano, 00120 Vatican City Italy
Meet your guide at the entrance to the museums and with skip-the-line access you can deposit your belongings in the Vatican cloakroom, perhaps take the opportunity for a comfort break and then begin this wonderful journey to discover the treasurers that the Vatican holds. First you will see the exhibition of Ancient Greek and Roman art. When the Popes ruled Central Italy artwork was brought to the Vatican from all areas of the city that were being excavated and the guide will point out some of the most noteworthy: the Belvedere Apollo; the Torso; busts of Claudius and Hadrian and the sarcophagi of Helen and Constance, the mother and daughter of Emperor Constantine. The tour continues with a visit to the Room of Animals and the Gallery of Candelabra where you will walk across precious mosaics and come face to face with the magnificent statues of Ephesus, the Muses and some famous Greek philosophers. There are more treasures to be seen in the Gallery of Tapestries, the Sobieski Hall and the Rooms of Raphael. Painted by Raphael and his disciples these rooms house the famous Parnassus and School of Athens and were the private apartments of Pope Julius II.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Sistine Chapel, Viale Vaticano, 00165 Vatican City Italy
Then it is on to the most visited site in the whole of Italy, the Sistine Chapel. The guide will tell you all about the Last Judgment, the Creation of Adam and the Genesis, Michelangelo’s famous frescoes. The Chapel also houses many other magnificent works; the Stories of Moses and Jesus painted by Botticelli, Perugino and other famous Renaissance artists. The Chapel also has an important part to play in the church today as the venue for the conclave where new Popes are elected. Your guide will tell you about this unique event as well as many other interesting and curious facts.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: St. Peter's Basilica, Piazza San Pietro, 00120 Vatican City Italy
Following the Sistine Chapel you enter the most important Catholic Church in the world – Saint Peter’s Basilica. Your guide will tell you about the Basilica’s architecture, its symbols and the rituals that take part there. You will visit the tombs of Pope John XXIII and Pope John Paul II and see another of Michelangelo’s masterpieces, the Pieta.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: St. Peter's Square, Piazza San Pietro, 00120 Vatican City Italy
The tour finishes in Saint Peter’s Square; here your guide will relate some facts and anecdotes about Bernini’s magnificent square. See the Pope’s balcony and where the long awaited smoke comes from during the election of a new Pope. A great way to end this superb Vatican tour!
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Viale Vaticano, Roma RM, Italy
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- READ CAREFULLY: Because of the growing popularity of the current pope Francis and his intense activity in organising mass events in the Vatican some areas might get closed last minute without previous notice. This has already happened this year and can happen again during you Vatican tour: the Sistine chapel and/or the Basilica of Saint Peter might not be accessible. In case of such events our tour guide will provide you with a valuable alternative focusing the tour inside the Vatican museums.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.