Small-Group 'Downton Abbey' and Highclere Castle Tour from London
Visit Highclere Castle, the Cotswolds village of Bampton and other sites on a full-day 'Downton Abbey' tour from London! After traveling to Oxfordshire with an expert guide, knowledgeable about the hit British TV series, visit a farm near the village of Cogges, and then continue to Bampton — the setting of Downton village. See the church and the popular Grantham Arms pub, and then spend the afternoon at Highclere Castle aka the Grantham family home. Tour the state rooms and gardens and learn all about the real-life Carnarvon family who own the estate.
Numbers are limited to 18 on this small-group tour, ensuring personalized attention from a guide.
per adult from
What's included :
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Professional guide
- Entry to Cogges Manor Farm
- Guided tour of Bampton
- Entry to Highclere Castle
- Entry/Admission - Cogges
- Entry/Admission - Cogges Manor Farm
- Entry/Admission - Bampton Library
- Entry/Admission - Highclere Castle
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Cogges Manor Farm, Church Lane, Witney OX28 3LA England
Leave London’s Marble Arch by air-conditioned minivan, and travel west to the rolling limestone hills of Oxfordshire. On the journey, your guide will keep you entertained with tales and trivia about the Downton Abbey TV series that has a fan base spread all over the world. Filmed mostly in and around Oxfordshire, the British period drama of Downton Abbey documents the dramas and scandals of the fictional Crawley family and their servants in the days leading up to and after the First World War. Hear insider gossip about characters such as Lady Mary, and discover little-known facts about the shooting locations included on your tour. Stop at a farm nestled in the hills near Cogges and enjoy a hot drink (own expense) in the farm’s rustic cafe before discovering a few of the farm’s filming locations.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Cogges Manor Farm, Church Ln, Witney OX28 3LA, UK
Cogges Manor Farm
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Bampton Library Old Grammar School Church View, Bampton OX18 2NE England
Continue to Bampton in the Cotswolds, a quintessentially English village that was used extensively as Downton village throughout the entire series. On a walking tour, see the village church — the site of Lady Mary’s wedding to Matthew Crawley — and the house that was once used as the Crawley family home. Stroll along the main street, seeing shops used for filming as well as sights such as the fictional Grantham Arms pub.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: The Swan Inn, A40, Swinbrook, Burford OX18 4DY, UK
Stop At: Highclere Castle Highclere Park, Newbury RG20 9RN England
Travel onward to continue to Highclere Castle, one of the best-known Downton filming locations, to explore with your guide. Walk around the lavish estate that surrounds the castle, comprising Monk’s Garden, White Border, Secret Garden and the Wood of Goodwill, and hear all about Highclere Castle’s role as the Grantham family home.
Enjoy free time for lunch or a snack in the onsite tea rooms that serves food from the castle’s kitchens, and then step inside Highclere Castle to explore each of its state rooms. See the dining, music and smoking rooms that the likes of Lady Sybil graced with their presence, and learn all about the real-life family who have owned Highclere Castle since the late 17th century: the Carnarvons.
After exploring further areas of the impressive filming site such as the Red Stairs, saloon, gallery and bedrooms, return to your minivan with your guide. Relax on the journey back to London, and then finish your day trip with a drop-off at the Victoria Train Station.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Hard Rock Cafe, Great Cumberland Pl, Marble Arch, Marylebone, London W1H 7DL, UK
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :London Victoria Rail Station, Victoria, London SW1W 0AH, UK
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- This tour departs every day that Highclere Castle is open in 2019!
- Please note: Once the booking is submitted all sales are final, non-changeable, non-transferable and incur 100% cancellation penalties
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 18 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- 50% of all available seats will be left empty to ensure customer space and distancing.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.