Small Group Half-Day Tour in Nairobi: Farm to Feast
This Nairobi tour that explores the relationship between farming and food. You’ll deliver a supply of chickens and pigs to a local community and find out how a local non-profit is helping to alleviate poverty and malnutrition in Kenya, one chick and piglet at a time.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Pick-up from and drop-off at your hotel
- Unlimited bottled water, tea and coffee, light snacks (sandwiches and fruit)
- Photographs of you and the group (3 to 4 images for each person and group)
What's excluded :
- Souvenirs and personal items
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- Chicken and pig farming have been rated by the United Nations and World Health Organization as one of the most successful and quick-fix solutions to overcoming malnutrition in poor communities.
On this Nairobi tour, you’ll head to a street-side market, where you’ll get to haggle alongside locals and pick up the fattest piglets and happiest little chicks for delivering to local communities.
With the piglets and chicks in your arms, you’ll travel up to villages in Kikuyu and Kayole, on the outskirts of Nairobi. One Horizon Africa, a partner on this tour, has rescue centres in these communities, where locals are in desperate need of a sustainable food source.
Small pigs and chicken farms can help people to overcome food shortages and malnutrition. Because they breed quickly, pigs and chickens provide a valuable food and income source — in six months, malnourished and deprived communities can have a sustainable income source from the sale of excess eggs, chicken meat, and pork.
Once you’ve handed over your purchases, you’ll have the chance to sit down in a private home and hear locals’ stories about life in the community, shared over tea and coffee. These are grassroots communities that most travellers never get the opportunity to meet.
One Horizon Africa is a non-profit organisation dedicated to alleviating poverty in Kenya and South Africa, and holds no religious or political affiliations. Tours are managed by a dedicated Kenyan staffing team who all have a background in travel and tourism, and have joined the team because of their commitment to helping their fellow citizens.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
You’ll be picked up at your hotel (please be sure to include your hotel name when you book your tour).
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please wear casual, light clothing.
- You will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.