Small-Group Rome Crypts and Catacombs Tour Including Capuchin Crypt
Be escorted through Rome’s atmospheric walkways and tunnels, and be transported back in time by your enthusiastic guides. Discover Rome’s eerie past through its darkened underground tunnels and catacombs. Learn the vast and brutal history of these labyrinth places on a 3.5-hour tour. Visit crypts that are home to century-old human remains, and see for yourself Rome’s history exhibited through its distinguishable architecture, such as the famous "Time Machine Church." Small-group tour is limited to a maximum of 8 travelers.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- All taxes, fees, and handling charges
- Professional art-historian guide
- Entry/Admission - Catacombs of Saint Callixtus
- Entry/Admission - Catacombe San Sebastiano
- Entry/Admission - Museum and Crypt of Capuchins
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- From the central meeting point, a mini van will take you to the most strategically important roads of the Roman empire. These roads connected Rome with Brindisi in Southeast Italy to improve the movement of military supplies and eventually lead to Rome´s success in the Second Samnite War. As you wander through the extraordinary tunnels of either the Catacombs of San Sebastiano or the Catacombs of San Callisto, you'll get a feel for Rome's chilling past. You will be guided through the winding underground tunnels, as you are told tales of burial, ritual, and religion in ancient Rome.
Gain a unique insight into the Capuchin bone crypt--a truly chilling experience. See a breathtaking display of decorative motifs. Consecutive chambers are decorated using only human bones and mummified corpses. The bones of around 4,000 Capuchin monks were used to create patterns and vignettes in this chilling display. The spectacle was erected in the 1700s, and very little is known about the reasons behind it. It has been speculated that this unconventional display is a kind of “memento mori”--its purpose serving as a reminder that time on earth should be used wisely.
You will eventually be led to the Crypt of the Three Skeletons, where the theme of life and death is evident. Enclosed in an oval, a skeleton holds a scythe in its right hand and scales in its left hand. It is suspected that the oval is the symbol of life coming to birth with the scales symbolizing the good and evil deeds weighed when we are judged by God.
A true testament to Rome’s uniquely wonderful architecture, the church dedicated to Pope Clements I is not to be missed. Together with your expert guide, you will travel back in time to explore layers of history. Uncover the mysteries of ancient Roman religion and cults, such as the Mithraic, who would meet in underground temples.
Departure Point :Province of Rome, Province of Rome, Lazio
Departure Time :9am
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No minimum age requirement
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- The tour operates in English; if another language is preferred, book 2 weeks in advance and make a note in the 'Special Requirements' box
- Dress code: No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements.
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.