Small-Group Surf Lesson on the Big Island
You never forget your first wave, as surfing enthusiasts in Hawaii are prone to say, so make sure your first wave is a good one with a small-group surf lesson on the Big Island. This 2-hour Kona surf lesson starts with the basics, like surfing safety, etiquette and how to paddle and pop up on the board. Then take to the water to practice your newfound skills on the waves of Kahalu'u Bay! A knowledgeable surfing instructor will be in the water with you, telling you when to paddle and when to pop up. It’s a Hawaiian experience everyone should try at least once!
per adult from
What's included :
- Use of all necessary equipment
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drink
- Meet your surfing instructor at a designated surf shop near Kahalu'u Bay, and begin your 2-hour surf lesson by picking out your surfboard and being fitted with reef booties and a rash guard.
Then head to the beach and hit the sand, learning the basics before you enter the water. Following your instructor’s directions, practice the proper techniques for paddling and popping up on your board. Then listen carefully to the explanation of surfing etiquette and how to wipe out safely before hitting the waves.
When you’re ready, fasten your ankle strap and hop on your board, paddling out from the beach. Your instructor will be with you in the water, telling you where to be, when to paddle and when to pop up. If you need it, you’ll be given a little push from the back of your board to make sure you catch as many waves as you can.
Instruction is tailored to your skill level; if you are a beginner, your instructor will make sure you don’t go anywhere near the bigger waves. If you are at a more advanced level, you instructor can provide advice on how to read waves, how to turn and how to catch larger waves.
Departure Point :Kahalu'u Bay Surf and Sea, 78-6685 Alii Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, USA
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Available for ages 11 and up
- Participant MUST know how to swim without the aid of a lifejacket
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.