Small-Group Tour: Open Sky Street Art Museum Including a Chilean Traditional Meal in Santiago
Come meet the people who live in Santiago’s arts-filled San Miguel! Learn how this community was saved from a trashy future and became an open-air street art museum with more than 40 giant murals. You’ll also get to share a traditional meal with a local family. Foodies and street art fans, you won’t be disappointed!
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Teatime” meal
What's excluded :
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- This Santiago tour is packed with art, culture, and Chilean hospitality! You'll support the Mixart Cultural Centre, a community of locals from the San Miguel neighbourhood, who have come together to launch the Open Sky Museum in support of the area's rich art scene. The group is has helped transform San Miguel from a poor area of social housing to a living art museum.
We’ll meet each other in the Plaza de Armas before shying away from the historic downtown part of Santiago. Instead of joining the tourist crowds, we’ll hop on the subway and head to the San Miguel district, a neighbourhood straight out of the movies, where people know their neighbours, greet each other on the streets, and help one another through difficult times.
Once there, our Santiago walking tour will take us through a living museum of sorts, and you’ll hear the history of the neighbourhood and its residents. As we walk, you’ll also get to see the area’s beautiful wall murals, and we’ll talk about the artists, the themes and meanings behind the images, and the art techniques used – basically anything and everything you want to know! The artwork here is quite varied, and the stories are inspiring and heartfelt – no boring lectures, guaranteed! Instead, learn how this community was saved from being transformed into a trash site, and was converted to the Open Sky Museum to house street art.
You’ll follow our guide through the artistic streets and see more than 40 giant art murals, and over 4,000 square metres of art in area that only spans eight blocks! Another great point of interest as we tour San Miguel will be the architecture: the traditional and statuesque buildings provide great backdrops for photos.
If you’re worried that all that walking will leave you famished but with nothing to munch on, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! We’ll spend the afternoon with some San Miguel locals right inside their home. We’ll share a typical Chilean teatime meal of homemade bread, avocados, eggs, Chilean sweet cakes, and more. Chileans are well-known for their hospitable nature and for sharing that hospitality and love through food – no one is going home hungry!
Spend the day with us to experience the real Santiago in the Open Sky Museum of San Miguel. We promise to feed both the art lover and the foodie in you!
Departure Point :Plaza de Armas, Santiago, Región Metropolitana, Chile
Departure Time :3:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Small group of a maximum of 12 people
- This is a child-friendly tour
- We can cater to special dietary requirements. Please let us know in advance if you have any food allergies or sensitivities
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- 10% of tour proceeds from your tour are donated to support the continued work of Mixart Cultural Centre.
- A portion of your tour fee is donated to the family that you have lunch with
- Learn about our successful urban regeneration project and use your learnings to start your own regeneration project in your local community.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.