Small Public Tour from Amsterdam in Kinderdijk Windmills
You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for an authentic windmill adventure! World heritage site Kinderdijk is home to the world's highest concentration of historical windmills. It is so authentic that all but three mills are still inhabited by millers and their families.
Start your experience from Amsterdam, from where it takes a 1.5 hr transfer to Kinderdijk. Upon arrival, set off on a private guided (walking) tour. Discover the area's historical importance and visit first one windmill by foot (walk 10 min). Climb the stairs inside and learn how a family with 13 children lived in this mill back in the old days. The other two windmills are visited by boat and respectively show how a family in the 1950s lived from nature and how that sustainable, medieval engineering actually works. Meet the millers and learn about their trade. After the guided tour you have some personal time to soak in the area's serene and authentic atmosphere.
per adult from
6 to 7 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Comfortable, air-conditioned and coronaproof transportation from Amsterdam Central Station
- Private guide for the small tour group for 6 to 7 hours
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly and to maintain social distancing
- Admission World Heritage Site Kinderdijk
- Private guided tour of Kinderdijk including visit three windmills
- Boat ride Kinderdijk's Canal Hopper
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Entry/Admission - World Heritage Kinderdijk
- Entry/Admission - Museummolen Nederwaard
- Entry/Admission - Museum Molen Blokweer
What's excluded :
- Guide gratuity (optional of course!)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: The Netherlands, The Netherlands
Traditional windmills, that's what this public experience is all about. After all, this icon does represent the Netherlands. Enjoy an authentic windmill adventure at the world heritage windmills of Kinderdijk. It is so authentic that all but three of the nineteen windmills are inhabited by millers and their families. It takes a transfer of 1.5 hrs to get there, but the enjoyment starts already on the way to Alblasserwaard, the polder that is home to Kinderdijk. Watch the Dutch ‘flat-as-a-pancake’ landscape pass by while your private guide shares all sorts of interesting information about the Netherlands with you.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Centraal Station, Stationsplein 9, 1012 AB Amsterdam The Netherlands
If you're staying in the heart of Amsterdam, it's perhaps just as convenient to walk to our centrally located meeting point: Amsterdam Central Station.
Meet your guide (and fellow travelers) at the water-facing side of the station. You can recognize our guide by the white flag with blue letters saying 'Tulip Day Tours'. Our vehicle departs at 12:00 noon sharp.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Amsterdam, Amsterdam, North Holland Province
If you're staying a bit too far out of the station, you can also opt to add hotel pick-up & drop-off in Amsterdam to your booking. This way you can start your day comfortable and you don't need to hassle of getting to the station.
The drop-off address doesn't have to be the same as pick-up. We have space in our vehicle for luggage so you can use this experience as transportation at the same time.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: World Heritage Kinderdijk, Nederwaard 1, 2961 AS Kinderdijk The Netherlands
There isn't a windmill complex like this anywhere else in the world to be found. Kinderdijk is of international value, not only because of the windmills but also because all water management technology from the Middle Ages can be seen here. There are dikes, storage reservoirs, historical windmills and modern pumping stations.
Upon arrival in Kinderdijk, set off on a private guided (walking) tour for the small tour group only. Experience the area's serenity and importance. Walk first to museum mill Nederwaard, before letting the skippers of Kinderdijk carry you across the glittering waters to the other two museum mills. The rest cannot be visited as they are inhabited by millers and their families.
After exploring the windmills, get back on the boat to marvel at the amazing views of all the windmills on a row!
At the end of the boat ride you have some personal time before making the transfer back to Amsterdam.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Museummolen Nederwaard, Nederwaard 5, 2961 AS Kinderdijk The Netherlands
Enjoy a walk to the first of the three windmills that are visited during this public experience: windmill Nederwaard. In this windmill you can climb the stairs and see how miller Hoek, his wife and their thirteen children lived on the different floors of this windmill back in the old days. You can even take the steep stairs all the way to the top to discover how this medieval, sustainable engineering actually works. Now you can meet one of the current millers and ask them anything you'd like to know about milling or milling life.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Museum Molen Blokweer, Blokweerschekade, Kinderdijk The Netherlands
The second and third windmills that are explored during the Kinderdijk experience are visited by Kinderdijk's Canal Hopper. Mill Blokweer is the oldest of the area and looks much different from all the other windmills. Here you learn how millers and their families lived completely self-sustainable in the 1950s. You can even try on a pair of wooden shoes!
The third and last windmill is Windmill Overwaard. This windmill has only recently turned into a museum mill, but it is an extraordinary one. When the mill was built in 1740, it was the only one of its kind that could grind the water in both directions. At the time they needed more capacity and therefore it was built with two scoop wheels instead of one. When you get off the boat to exlore the windmill, you'll notice that everything in this mill and its adjoining education barn evolves around technology.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Departure Point :De Ruijterkade 10A, 1011 AA Amsterdam, Netherlands
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up (and drop-off) is offered anywhere in the city of Amsterdam (including all river docks). Pick-up, if booked, is around 12:00 noon. The exact time depends on your pick-up address. The exact pick-up time is communicated as soon as possible, but no later than 6 pm the evening before the experience. We contact you by email or WhatsApp to let you know your exact pick-up time. Drop-off address in Amsterdam doesn't have to be the same as pick-up.Ports
- River Cruise Port Amsterdam or Ocean Cruise Terminal Amsterdam
- Amsterdam River Cruise Port, De Ruijterkade, 1011 Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Passenger Terminal Amsterdam at Elbaweg, Unnamed Road, 1044 Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Passenger terminal amsterdam, Piet Heinkade, 1019 BR Amsterdam, Netherlands
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Your TripAdvisor confirmation is the tour confirmation. You don't need to do anything. You can go to the meeting point at the booked time.
- Hotel pick-up (if booked) is around 12 noon. The exact time is communicated by WhatsApp / email by 6 pm, the day before the tour.
- Until at least August 2021 (or until necessary), the max group size is reduced to 4 travelers (two households: one household per row in the vehicle; - a travel party is a solo traveler or a couple)
- Minimum age for participation on our public experiences is 8 years. Traveling with younger children? Check out our private experience!
- Staying outside Amsterdam? Check out our private experiences as these include pick-up and drop-off anywhere in the Randstad region.
- Check out our experiences on instagram and DM if you have questions!
- Inclusive for LGBTQ+ and diversity: we welcome everyone regardless of sex, race, gender, religious background, etc.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- 2020 Winner Netherlands Prestige Awards: 'Tour Operator of the Year'
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- We take the corona virus very seriously and adhere to local and national regulations.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.