Southern Black Hills Bicycle Tour - Private
This spectacular road ride features biking along some of the most scenic roads in the Black Hills; roads designed for the sole purpose of enjoyment. Ride through rock tunnels with views of Mt. Rushmore, down spiraling "pigtail bridges," and descend through the towering granite spires on Needles Highway. This tour is an all day bike tour, departing in the morning from Rapid City, with complimentary hotel pickup in Rapid City or along the way, and includes bike rental, helmet, and refreshments.
Please note, this ride is suitable for experienced road cyclists. The standard route is 45 miles with an elevation gain of 4,500ft. This tour is customizable as far as route and distance, contact us for more information.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Use of bicycle
- Use of helmet
What's excluded :
- On this Black Hills bicycle tour, we hit some of the hills' best gems: Sylvan Lake, Needles Highway, Iron Mt. Road, and Mount Rushmore. The tour starts at beautiful Lakota Lake. It begins with a long climb up to Peter Norbeck Overlook for the first panoramic view of Mount Rushmore. After a brief stop at the overlook, you commence a six mile downhill descent that is arguably the best section of road riding anywhere. It comprises of multiple tunnels blasted to frame Mount Rushmore and numerous log bridges that spiral down the hillside earning their name “pigtail bridges.” The smooth asphalt road also splits a couple of times into single lane shoulder-less paths through the forest that are sure to earn an ear-to-ear grin.
These unique features lead to the base of the hill that Mt. Rushmore sits atop. After the steep climb up, you’ll be ready for a break and a nice lunch with a view of the famous faces. Passing by the side profile view of George Washington, the road leads back behind Rushmore through some staggering rock pinnacles and formations as you make your way to Sylvan Lake and the start of Needles Highway. The climb up to Sylvan earns the elevation gain for a 10+ mile thrilling descent on Needles Highway past the Cathedral Spires, through several more rock tunnels; a fun section of road that you’ll be sharing in stories for years to come. You then have a nice moderate and beautiful road past Center Lake and the Black Hills Playhouse back to Lakota Lake.
This tour includes lunch and complimentary hotel pick-up and drop-off.
Departure Point :Founders Park, 1510 W Omaha St, Rapid City, SD 57701, USA
Traveler pickup is offered
Please let us know where in the Black Hills you are staying. We are able to accommodate most pick up locations. Some may require a further pick up fee. Airports
- Rapid City Regional Airport, 4550 Terminal Rd, Rapid City, SD 57703
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum is 2 people to run tour. Tour is possible with one person for an additional surcharge.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.