Southern Serbia: Day Trip to Nis from Belgrade
Serbia is a relatively small country, but for sure it offers a lot of diversity. One of the best examples of that diversity is Niš, third biggest city in Serbia, with an exciting mixture of Ottoman heritage, laid-back charm, captivating history, great food, cheerful locals and music that will make you dance.
Escorted by the professional, English-speaking guide, in an air-conditioned vehicle, get to know everything about this charming city on this 10-hours exciting journey.
per adult from
9 to 10 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan or a private car
- services of a professional, English-speaking guide
What's excluded :
- food & drinks (optional)
- combined ticket for Nazi Camp, The Scull Tower and the Archaeological Hall = 400 RSD per person
- Entry/Admission - Red Cross Nazi Concentration Camp
- Entry/Admission - Skull Tower
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Belgrade, Belgrade
Your trip will begin with pick up from your hotel/accommodation in Belgrade, and we head toward Southern Serbia. After slightly more than two hours of driving (highway only), we will reach Niš.
Pass By: Nis, Nis, Central Serbia
The day is reserved for the born city of the famous Roman Emperor Constantine the Great. In the next three hours, you will see the most important sights in Serbia's third-biggest city, and our guide will share the stories about the city's turbulent history dating back to pre-Roman times
Stop At: Red Cross Nazi Concentration Camp, Bul 12 Februari after the corssing with Alexandra Medvedeva str., Nis Serbia
First of all, we are going to pay a visit to Red Cross Nazi Concentration Camp, today a museum. The German Gestapo operated the camp and held captured around 30.000Jews, Serbians, and Romas during the Second World War. Red Cross was a transit camp, so few were killed on the premises – they were taken mainly to Bubanj Hill (in Niš) to be executed there, or on to Auschwitz, Dachau, or other concentration camps. The fact that differs the camp from other Nazi camps is that on February 12, 1942. the inmates organized the first mass escape of prisoners in occupied Europe – a total of 105 managed to flee from the camp that day.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Bubanj Memorial Park, Bubanj, Nis Serbia
To conclude our story about WWII, we'll visit Bubanj Hill. Located 3km from the city center, it is the place where we'll find one of Serbia's most recognizable Yugoslav-era memorials. Three gigantic fists rising from the ground are the work of Croatian sculptor Ivan Sabolić, and they symbolize the resistance and suffering of men, women, and children (or, according to other interpretations, Serbs, Jews, and Roma) during WWII. This hill was the site of mass executions conducted by the Nazis, where they executed close to 10.000 prisoners from the concentration camp.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Skull Tower, Bulevar Dr Zorana Dindica, Nis Serbia
Our next stop will be the infamous Skull Tower - the monument unique in the world, erected by the Ottomans as an example to others of the folly of opposition to their rule.
Originally there were 952 skulls built into the tower, today there are 59 remaining, but they still illustrate all the horror of the original tower.
Destroying the tower was never a question. It was imperative to keep it standing as a reminder to future generations of the sacrifices made by their ancestors towards the liberation of Serbia; thus it still stands as a silent monument to struggle.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Nis Fortress, Nis Serbia
Following, we will visit the Niš Fortress, lying on the bank of Nišava River. It assumed its final shape in 1723, when the Turks built it, facing the end of their reign in this area. Its construction required that over 40 stonecutters from Constantinople and around 400 bricklayers from Niš to be hired. Though the Turks built its current incarnation, there have been forts on this site since ancient Roman times. Today, the fortress is a cultural property of great importance and a venue for frequent cultural and artistic events.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Nis, Nis, Central Serbia
We will continue our sightseeing passing by the main sights in the city, including Banovina Building, Niš Liberators Monument at King Milan Square, and the monument of a well-known Serbian writer Stevan Sremac, considered to be one of the greatest Serbian comedy writers in history.
Concluding our tour, we'll visit the Archaeological Hall of Nis National Museum, with its numerous exhibits telling a vivid story of Nis history and culture from Neolithic Age and Roman period to the Middle Ages.
After that, you will have free time for individual activities in Niš and to try some of the traditional delicacies for which Niš is widely famous.
At the scheduled time, we will hop back into our vehicle, and after about two hours, you will be back in your hotel.
Duration: 3 hours
Pass By: Belgrade, Belgrade
Your tour concludes with transportation back to your hotel/accommodation in Belgrade, where we'll arrive in the afternoon. End of services.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
If you have booked the shared tour option, pick-up will be 15-30 minutes before the departure time. One day before the trip, not before 6 PM, we’ll send you an e-mail with all the pick-up details. If you have booked the private tour option, the default departure time is 08:00. If you want a different departure time, you should contact us and let us know at what time you would like to start.Pick up from any hotel, Airbnb, a pension that is up to 5 km from Republic Square, or from Belgrade port is free of charge. Additionally, we can pick you up from any address in Belgrade, but if the pick-up location is further than 5km but less than 10 km from the city center, we will apply a supplement of 10EUR. For locations further than 10km from the Republic Square, please contact us directly.If you want to start your tour at Belgrade airport, you could do that with a supplement of 15 EUR.Airports
- Nikola Tesla Airport, Aerodrom Beograd 59, Beograd 11180, Serbia
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- We never cancel our tours, however, if you are the only person on a shared tour, a supplement of 50% will be applied. At latest 24 hours before the trip, you will be informed in the case that you are the only guest on the tour, and we will offer a choice between canceling the tour with no fees applied, or paying the supplement of 50% of the price.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.