Soviet past - Day trip to Chiatura cable cars town and Katskhi pillar
Discover the non-touristic Georgia on this full day trip to the macabre town of Chiatura - once a modern mining town with highest number of cable cars, it resembles a ghost town today with its abandoned mines, empty apartments and decaying Soviet architecture.
The time seems to stand still here and so you can take a ride in one of the last rusty cable cars, overlooking the factories, enjoy the panorama view from the half-abandoned concrete settlements on the hills and see a morbide dedication to Stalin here and there.
On our tour we also visit the country side of Imereti region, that builds a contrast to industrial Chiatura - the ancient holy pillar of Katskhi with a tiny church on top or the rock hew Mgvimevi convent with frescoes from XIV century.
per adult from
9 to 11 hours
What's included :
- Ride in the old cable cars of Chiatura and explore the abandoned areas
- Visit the Mgvimevi monastery - the only one where the church is built inside a natural cave
- Katskhi sveti - a natural stone pilar with a church on top
- Private tour with professional guide
- Perfect for photographers
- Entry/Admission - Cableways Chiatura
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Cableways Chiatura, Chiatura 5500 Georgia
Take a ride in some of the oldest cable cars on territory of former Soviet Union.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Katskhi Pillar, Katskhi Georgia
A monastery built on top of a strange shaped rock in the middle of green Imereti.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Monastery Mgvimevi, Chiatura Georgia
Rock hewn convent in the town of Chiatura
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We will pick you up from your hotel or vacation rental in Tbilisi. Please share your accommodation location after the booking.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please note that in Chiatura temporary power outage is possible
- Infant seats available
- The ride in the cable cars is not recommended for travelers who are scared of heights
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Organised by Real Georgia Tours