Tapas, Taverns & History Tour in Madrid
Get ready for Spanish food and Spanish history to come to life. As you weave between century-old tapas bars, historic plazas and mystery-filled streets, you’ll learn how the story of Madrid is as much a story of kings and wars as it is one of garlic shrimp and crusty bread. This is a classic tapas crawl in the classic style, which means that no tapas bar is ever too crowded—there’s always room for a few more!
- Discover the real Madrid, including a 45-minute walking history tour of the city center.
- Enjoy classic tapas in the classic style: standing elbow to elbow in bars packed with locals!
- Touch history in century-old tapas bars and taste secret family recipes.
- Learn what the locals drink—and why it's better than sangria!
- Try the foods that shaped Madrid and learn how history has shaped the food we eat today.
per adult from
What's included :
- Small-group tour (maximum 10 guests)
- Food tastings (enough for a full dinner)
- Wine tastings (5 glasses of local wine and drinks)
- Expert local culinary guide
- Our Devouring Madrid guide, packed with all our favorite places to eat and drink in the city
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Entry/Admission - Casa Labra
- Entry/Admission - Mesón del Champiñon
- Entry/Admission - La Casa del Abuelo
- Entry/Admission - Casa Toni
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Casa Labra, Calle de Tetuán, 12, 28013 Madrid, Spain
Start your night off in a historic tavern with connections to the Spanish Civil War. You’ll sip vermouth and try a tapa that’s been served here for over 100 years! This traditional stop will be your first introduction into what going out for tapas really means in Madrid.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Madrid, Madrid
We’ll start our 45-minute history walk through the oldest part of Madrid by heading towards the Royal Palace. As we explore the Habsburg neighborhood, you’ll discover its hidden squares and secrets while hearing the story of how Madrid went from being a small village to the capital of one of the world’s greatest empires.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Mesón del Champiñon, Cava de San Miguel, 17, 28005 Madrid, Spain
The next tapas bar is known for one thing: grilled mushrooms that will change the way you look at mushrooms forever. While here, you’ll learn what most locals drink on a night out (hint: it’s not sangria!) and you’ll pair it with the famous mushrooms and addictive Padrón peppers.
Duration: 25 minutes
Stop At: Plaza Mayor, Calle Gerona 4, 28012 Madrid Spain
For centuries this square was the center of life in Madrid and your guide will tell stories to bring the square's past to life.
Duration: 5 minutes
Pass By: Petit Palace Posada del Peine, Calle de Postas, 17, 28012 Madrid, Spain
Walk past Madrid's oldest hotel which has a curious story that your guide will be ready to share.
Pass By: Puerta del Sol, 28013 Madrid Spain
Once upon a time the limits of the old city of Madrid, today this square is full of life day and night.
Stop At: La Casa del Abuelo, Calle de la Victoria, 12, 28012 Madrid, Spain
At the third tapas bar of the night, you’ll taste one of Madrid’s signature tapas: gambas al ajillo. We’ll tell you all about how this family-run bar claims to have invented it–and they’ve been in business since 1906 so we’ll take thier word for it! You’ll also enjoy a glass of wine made from their family vineyard.
Duration: 25 minutes
Stop At: Plaza de Santa Ana, Madrid Spain
Before the last food stop we'll have a quick visit to another of Madrid’s iconic squares where you’ll get a crash course on the city’s recent past.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Casa Toni, Calle de la Cruz, 14, 28012 Madrid, Spain
We’ll squeeze into one of Madrid’s last remaining traditional tapas institutions, a no-frills spot where locals crowd in for classic dishes. Having explored historic madrid from top to bottom, we’ll be ready to get off our feet, so we’ll sit down here and start passing plates of Madrid specialties around.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Calle del Arenal, 11, 28013 Madrid, Spain
Return Detail :Puerta del Sol, Madrid, Spain
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 13 years
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Available for vegetarians, pescatarians and gluten free with prior notice. Please advise when booking.
- Not recommended for vegans
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Tours require a minimum of just two people to operate
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Our top priority is to keep our guests, guides and tour partners safe.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.