Taste of Tijuana Market & Street Food Culinary Tour - Private Tour
Anthony Bourdain put Tijuana's street food scene on the culinary map, and this tour visits some of his favorite TJ bites. An abbreviated version of our world famous Tijuana Bites Tour, this shorter market and tasting tour is the best gastronomic introduction to Tijuana's famous culinary scene available for those on a tighter timetable and budget. And while this tour is timed perfectly for cruise ship passengers visiting the Port of San Diego, those with a little more time can opt to leisurely extend their experience on the last stop, soaking in more of Tijuana's uber-hip gastro park before hailing an easy Uber ride back to the border (if you don't have that kind of time, don't worry, your ride back to the border at 2:30pm is included). When it comes to laying claim to the best street tacos in Mexico, there's a heated rivalry between Mexico City and Tijuana... On this curated tasting tour, we'll make our case for why Tijuana wins that epicurean battle, hands down!
per adult from
What's included :
- You'll learn the history of Mexican gastronomy, going back over 10,000 years!
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Alcoholic Beverages - At our last stop, you'll drink a Mexican craft beer on us, or a glass of Valle de Guadalupe wine for non-beer-drinkers! Stay and drink more at the no-host beer and wine bar...
- Bottled water - We'll keep you well hydrated while on tour with complementary bottled water service in the tour vehicle.
- Lunch - This guided foodie tour package includes all food and beverage as described in the tour's itinerary - you'll leave Tijuana stuffed! Note that this tour is NOT well suited for vegetarians or vegans.
- WiFi on board
- Entry/Admission - U.S. Customs and Border Protection – San Ysidro Port of Entry (PedWest)
- Entry/Admission - Mercado Hildago
- Entry/Admission - Las Ahumaderas
- Entry/Admission - Telefónica Gastro Park
- Entry/Admission - PedWest Garita Tijuana
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: U.S. Customs and Border Protection – San Ysidro Port of Entry (PedWest), 499 Virginia Ave, San Diego, CA 92173, USA
Meet your bilingual culinary guide and driver at the designated meeting point on the U.S. side of the US-Mexico border in San Ysidro, California (the San Diego to Tijuana border crossing). Your guide will walk the group across the border, through Mexican Immigration and Customs, to our tour vehicle awaiting on the Mexico side. It's an easy drive to the meeting point, or take public transportation (San Diego Trolley), taxi, or Uber. After crossing the border, we'll drive about 15-minutes to our first stop.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Mercado Hildago, Blvd Taboada & Av Independencia, Tijuana Mexico
We'll lead you on a curated walking tour of Tijuana’s famed produce market, stopping in at various vendor stands to learn about the history and culture of Mexican cuisine by examining its wide range of unique and tasty ingredients. You'll make various stops to eat street-style birria tacos, the freshest tamales you've ever had, Sonoran-style carne asada tacos, carnitas tortas, fresh-cut fruit sprinkled with lime and dusted in chili powder, and drink an agua fresca or licuado, as we taste our way through this colorful market and its adjacent taco stands, some of the most famous in Mexico.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Las Ahumaderas, Avenida Guillermo Prieto 9770, America, 22044 Tijuana, B.C., Mexico
Visit "taco alley," a favorite amongst locals where a row of neatly organized food stands offer up some of the best street-style tacos in Tijuana. You'll eat a freshly prepared "al pastor" taco, where the marinated pork is carved right from the hot spit into your hand-made tortilla that's still warm from the griddle (quesadillas are available for those who don't eat pork).
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Telefónica Gastro Park, Blvd. Agua Caliente 8924, Zonaeste, 22000 Tijuana, B.C., Mexico
Explore this eclectic collective of highly-stylized food trucks surrounding a Mexican microbrewery where you'll drink a Mexican craft beer on us (or a glass of Valle de Guadalupe wine for non-beer-drinkers); food at this stop is up to you and not included because most people are already stuffed by the time we arrive! But feel free to find a little more room in your belly for some of Tijuana's hottest young chefs, because they will certainly tease you and your taste buds with their innovative takes on Baja California's farm-to-fork modern-Mexican cuisine (this is our last stop, however, if you're having too much fun to end the day now, you may elect to stay a little longer and Uber or taxi back to border on your own - about 15-minutes by car).
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: PedWest Garita Tijuana, Zona Río, 22010 Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Tummy full, and pleasantly buzzed, sit back and enjoy the colorful drive back to the U.S. border inspection station in Tijuana, Mexico (your guide will drop you off at the entry gate to the pedestrian border crossing where you will cross back to the U.S. on your own via foot) – END OF TOUR. After clearing U.S. immigration and customs, hail Uber or taxi, take Trolley, or walk back to your car parked in San Ysidro, CA (actual arrival time in San Ysidro is highly dependent on actual border wait time, which varies - BTK has no ability to affect actual border wait time, but participants with a valid U.S. Passport usually cross in about 10-15 minutes).
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, 4463 Camino De La Plaza #111, San Diego, CA 92173, USA
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- While this experience is open to participants of all ages, the minimum age to drink alcoholic beverages in Mexico is 18 years old. A parent or legal guardian must accompany minors (if you have a different surname than that of your child, you must carry legal documentation affirming your parental/guardian rights).
- Children under 8 years old (or less than 4'9” tall) must be seated in an appropriate car seat or booster seat. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BRING YOUR OWN CAR SEAT/BOOSTER SEAT - WE DO NOT PROVIDE CAR SEATS OR BOOSTER SEATS AND YOUR SMALL CHILDREN WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE WITHOUT THE APPROPRIATE CAR SEAT/BOOSTER SEAT.
- Our tour vans only have three (3) seats with the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) system installed. YOU MUST BRING ALL NECESSARY STRAPS, TETHERS, BUCKLES, AND/OR EQUIPMENT TO PROPERLY INSTALL YOUR CAR SEATS OR BOOSTERS. Our guides/drivers are not allowed to assist with the installation of car seats or boosters - you are advised to bring the installation instructions with you. Your tour time includes the time required to install and remove car seats and boosters.
- If you have more than 10 people in your group, we will not be able to accommodate strollers or luggage (we must remove the back seats in order to accommodate luggage, strollers, etc. - this arrangement must be made at least 48-hours in advance of your tour’s scheduled departure time). LUGGAGE SPACE IS LIMITED. Please contact Baja Test Kitchen to ask about the transport of your luggage, strollers, etc. before booking this experience.
- All participants must have and cary a valid passport, and if necessary for travel to Mexico and the United States, a valid multiple-entry Visa or Resident Card. U.S. Passport holders do not require an Entry Visa for travel to Mexico.
- Everyone in your group must agree to and sign the Baja Test Kitchen Participation Agreement (release of liability) at least 24-hours prior to departure.
- Participants must be sober at the inception of the tour. If the trip director deems that a participant is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs at the inception of the tour (in his/her sole yet reasonable judgement), that participant will be dismissed and will not be allowed to participate in the tour. There will be no refunds, credits, or rescheduling allowances for dismissal due to insobriety at the inception of a tour/workshop.
- Most travelers can participate
- Your payment for this experience constitutes your full acceptance of the Terms, Conditions, and Tour Policies found on the Baja Test Kitchen website.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.