Tecpán Market and Iximché Ruins Tour
This tour is the only one like it here in Antigua! We depart the colonial city at approximately 7am and head directly to a restaurant that serves delicious, filling, traditional food.
After breakfast, we visit the Iximché Ruins, which was the first Spanish capital in Guatemala. Our local guide will explain the lifestyle of the Mayans while you explore the museum and grounds. Perhaps you'll even see a Mayan spiritual ceremony.
Next, we will go to Tecpán, which is an authentic town in the cloud forests of Guatemala. Here, we will be the only foreigners in town as we weave our way through the market and discuss the products being offered. Tecpán is special because they have a huge market for textiles! The women search high and low for the beautiful "huipiles" that are either hand-woven, or machine-made. We will learn how to spot the difference and view all of the authentic products offered. We will take a peek inside history and visit a beautiful example of a colonial Hispanic church.
per adult from
4 to 7 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private transportation
- A local guide and entrance fees to the Iximché Ruins are included.
- Entry/Admission - Iximche
What's excluded :
- Breakfast - We will stop on our way to the market for a traditional breakfast, which is not included in the price of the tour. Please advise us if you have any dietary restrictions.
- Snacks - We recommend you bring snacks and bottled water with you, as we return to Antigua at approximately 3pm.
- Gratuities for your local guides are always very much appreciated.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: TECPAN, Chimaltenango, Guatemala
Our next stop is a visit the municipal market in Tecpán, Guatemala. In this highland town, you will be the only foreigner at the market and we will see all of the traditional textiles being sold. You will learn the difference between the hand-woven and machine-made textiles, see embroidery and brocade pieces, and we'll get to visit a wonderful example of a colonial Spanish church.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Iximche, Tecpán Guatemala, Guatemala
First, we will stop at a restaurant for a delicious and filling local breakfast. Breakfast is not included but is highly recommended. Our next stop brings us to the ruins at Iximché. Here we will have a local guide with Mayan heritage explain everything we see in the museum at this national park. This site was the first Spanish capital of Guatemala and its beautiful park-like setting is a must-see to learn about the lifestyle of the Mayan governors. There is also a good chance you may catch a Mayan spiritual ceremony taking place on these sacred grounds! The tour takes around 1.5 hours total.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We can pick up at any hotel in Antigua, including guest houses, AirBnbs, or local points of interest. Please advise us of your preferred pick-up location prior to our departure. This tour is only available on Thursdays due to Tecpan's market schedule.
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/21/2020 - 11/3/2021
Monday - Sunday: 07:00 AM - 01:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.