Testaccio: Discover the hearth of Roman food tradition on an audio tour
Rome’s history is incredibly long and fascinating, and so is its culinary tradition. Testaccio, today a busy and lively borough, never lost its authentic character. It’s the perfect place to explore both history and cuisine on a self-guided audio tour.
Since Roman times, the area has been a market place. Testaccio is also famous for another reason: here was born the local culinary tradition of the so-called Quinto quarto, or five quarters – referring to the habit of cooking and eating offal – due to the presence of the old slaughterhouse. Today, the borough honours its origins being the heart of the most genuine Roman food scene.
You can experience it browsing around the market stalls, dining in some of the best traditional restaurants in the city, grabbing delicious street food or having a drink in an up-to-date venue. I’ll show you my favourite spots while pointing out the milestones of the local history and some examples of the contemporary artistic soul of the borough.
per adult from
45 to 60 minutes
What's included :
- Lifetime access to this tour in English
- VoiceMap App for Android and iOS
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
What's excluded :
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- Smartphone and headphones
- Food and drink
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Pyramid of Caius Cestius, Via Raffaele Persichetti, 00153 Roma RM, Italy
The tour starts next to the Pyramid of Caius Cestius.
Pass By: Taverna Volpetti, Via Alessandro Volta, 8, 00153 Roma RM, Italy
The tour passes Taverna Volpetti.
Pass By: Felice a Testaccio, Via Mastro Giorgio, 29, 00153 Roma RM, Italy
The tour passes Felice a Testaccio.
Pass By: Flavio al Velavevodetto, Via di Monte Testaccio, 97, 00153 Roma RM, Italy
The tour passes Flavio al Velavevodetto.
Pass By: Mattatoio, Piazza Orazio Giustiniani 4, Rome Italy
The tour passes Mattatoio.
Pass By: Mercato di Testaccio, Via Aldo Manuzio, 66b, 00153 Roma RM, Italy
The tour passes through the Mercato Testaccio.
Pass By: Trapizzino | Testaccio, Via Giovanni Branca, 88, 00153 Roma RM, Italy
The tour passes Trapizzino.
Departure Point :Pyramid of Caius Cestius, Via Raffaele Persichetti, 00153 Roma RM, Italy
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/15/2020 - 10/24/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :Via Marmorata, 167, 00153 Roma RM, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.