The Appian Catacombs & Private Enchanting Rome City Experience
Come along with us to discover the Catacombs of St. Callixtus Escorted by your private driver. The incredible Catacombs among the greatest and most important of Rome became the official cemetery of the Church of the city.
After, take part in a truly magical experience around Rome guided by your own private driver on an enchanting 2-hour panoramic tour of the eternal city! Take your journey when the city is enriched with an afternoon glow, breathe in the atmosphere of its famous squares, fountains, renaissance and baroque palaces. Truly a charismatic view of the incredible city of Rome. See all the major monuments, as well as some special places, from a unique perspective with the city laid out before your eyes.
With this tour, you can maximise your time enjoying the awesome experience, the guides and the local drivers are selected for their enthusiasm and for sharing their passion for Rome with you.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional art historian guide(first part of the tour)
- Pick-Up and Drop-Off
- Private Driver
- 2hours Private chauffeured sightseeing tour
- On site assistance
- Entry/Admission - Catacombs of Saint Callixtus
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Guide for the driving tour
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Explore Italy Tours, Via del Colosseo 24, 00184 Rome Italy
Address: Via della Polveriera 8
The Agency is located above the Colosseum Metro Station( 2nd floor ). You have to cross the small pedestrian bridge, we are nearly 100 meters (about 300 ft), straight ahead from there.
Stop At: Catacombs of Saint Callixtus, Via Appia Antica 110, 00179 Rome Italy
Explore the incredible Catacombs of St. Callixtus among the greatest and most important of Rome. They originated about the middle of the second century and are part of a cemeterial complex which occupies an area of 90 acres, with a network of galleries about 12 miles long, in four levels, more than twenty meters deep. In it were buried tens of martyrs, 16 popes and very many Christians.
Venture deep underneath the Catacombs which at the beginning of the third century, became the official cemetery of the Church of Rome.
Embark on a subterranean tour through the Catacomb’s underground cemetery In the area of the Popes, the most important and venerated crypt of the cemetery, called "the little Vatican" as it was the official burial place of nine popes. In the walls, you can still see the original inscriptions, in Greek, of five popes. Journey below the Crypt of St. Cecilia: the popular patron saint of music. Of a noble Roman family, she was martyred in the 3rd c. and entombed where the statue now lies. The crypt was all covered with mosaics and paintings.
Passing through imposing galleries full of loculi, we reach five small chambers, truly family tombs, commonly known as the cubicles of the Sacraments, and particularly important for their frescoes.
Duration: 2 minutes
Stop At: Colle del Gianicolo, Via Garibaldi Salita di Sant'Onofrio, 00165 Rome Italy
Prepare to be dazzled by the charming afternoon atmosphere of Rome. Along the way around the city, you may have some short stops in order to take some photos, as well as get a closer look at some of the spectacular monuments, such as the Spanish Steps, the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Saint Peters Basilica and many more.
Be astounded by the lights of the various bridges arched over the River Tiber and travel down the elegantly & enchantingly picturesque streets of Rome. The tour will end with the absolutely breathtaking views of Rome from the terrace of Gianicolo before being taken back to your accommodation.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Via della Polveriera, 8, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Traveler pickup is offered
Please send us your Hotel/Location name and address in order to organize the pickup. The pickup is available only inside the Aurelian walls.
Departure Time :2:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- The tour reservations have strict timing. To join the tour you are required to be at the meeting point for check-in at least 15 minutes prior to your tour departure time.
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- If you arrive/show late for the meeting time, it will not be possible to join the group or reschedule, unless you pay for the activity again. As per "No Show" rules you will not be entitled to a refund.
- Pets are not allowed inside the venue
- Those with serious mobility issues are warned of the walking difficulties in the catacombs: 50 irregular steps to descend, as many to climb; no chance to sit on the way; no lift (elevator).
- Most travelers can participate
- The tour of the catacombs takes about 40 minutes. The temperature in the catacombs is about 16 ° C / 60 ° F with a high humidity: please dress accordingly.
- The catacombs can only be visited in groups and there is no possibility for a private tour inside the Catacombs
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.