The Artisan Experience
This tour, by Due South Travels, is a unique offering as we have established relationships with specific artisans that work out of their homes.
Our first stop brings you to a village established in the 1530s. We will be welcomed into the home of an artisan who has worked with jade for over 40 years. After learning about the sourcing and history of jade in Guatemala, you will be able to select your own jade stone and polish it into a small take-away charm.
On our second stop, you will meet an artisan who has worked with leather since he was a young boy. He can make the most beautiful pair of handmade leather boots you've ever seen! Learn about the process of boot making from start to finish.
Last, we will enjoy a light, local lunch. Our weavers will give a backstrap loom demonstration and you will be guided through a collection of beautiful, authentic examples of traditional Guatemalan dress. This tour is educational, fun, and a client favorite, especially if you like to shop!
per adult from
What's included :
- Lunch - A light, local, vegetarian lunch is included. You may like to bring snacks and bottled water as well.
- Private transportation
- All Fees and Taxes
- Jade stone
- Entry/Admission - The Plaza Central Park
What's excluded :
- Gratuities are always appreciated.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: The Plaza Central Park, Plaza Mayor City Center, Antigua 03001 Guatemala
On this tour by Due South Travels you will be picked up at your accommodation. Our first stop is to a small village to the south of Antigua city center where we will visit the home of a jade artisan. You will be allowed to pick a jade stone and polish it into the shape and cut that you'd like. From here, we will visit a small town to the north of Antigua where we will learn about the process of leather work, specifically, boot making. We will be able to learn about the process from start to finish. Lastly, we visit a nearby town that is known for its double-sided brocade style of weaving. After a light lunch, we will see a backstrap loom demonstration, and then learn about the different traditional dress worn throughout Guatemala.
Duration: 7 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We can pick up from any location within the city center of Antigua Guatemala during normal driving days (during busy holiday periods, we may have to arrange a common pick-up point).
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/21/2020 - 10/18/2021
Monday - Sunday: 07:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.