The Cruel Tughlaq Dynasty - A Private Historical Walk with Lunch
This excursion delves into the rich history of a powerful family that ruled over Delhi and much of the Indian subcontinent in medieval times. The Tughlaq Dynasty dominated those lands between 1320 and 1413. Their rule was a cruel one. A three hour walk informs about the Tughlaq period guided by a historian. Immerse yourself in a long past world filled with mystique, magnificent architecture, tales of conquest and rebellion.
• Stone fortifications and ruins of Tughlaqabad Fort.
• Tomb of Ghiyas-Ud-Din Tughlaq of sandstone and marble.
• Citadel Bijay Mandal.
• Adilabad Fort
per adult from
4 to 5 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Transport by private air conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off within city center only
- English speaking Local Guide
- Lunch at Local restaurant (Beverage Excluded)
- 02 bottles of mineral water per person
- Entry/Admission - Tughlaqabad Fort
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities. (Optional)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Tughlaqabad Fort, Tughlakabad, New Delhi 110044 India
You will be picked up from your central New Delhi hotel and driven to the forts of the Tughlaq Dynasty along with your English Speaking Guide.
The story of this once powerful and cruel family will be shared by your historian guide. The region that was established by the Tughlaqs came to be known as Tughlaqabad, the third city of Delhi. Their unique style of architecture can be admired in regional buildings and monuments. See the architecturally magnificent monuments of Tughlaqabad consisting of forts and the tomb of Ghiyas-Ud-Din-Tughlaq.
The grand Tughlaqabad Fort was built in the early 14th century. Complete with rubble-filled walls and massive stone fortifications over uneven ground, it is the perfect example of Tughlaq architecture.
The highest viewing platform of the fort is a citadel called Bijay Mandal. Over the years archaeologists have discovered remains of the kitchen, a step-well, storage rooms and sluice gates.
The Tughlaqabad Fort houses the tomb of Ghiyas-ud-Din Tughlaq, a structure that claims to be the first to use the combination of sandstone and marble. The graves of his wife and successor Mohammed Bin Tughlaq are present in the same tomb. This architectural masterpiece consists of a dome standing over an octagonal surface layered with marble and slate.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Adilabad, Adilabad, Adilabad District, Telangana
Adjacent to the Tughlaqabad Fort is the forgotten Adilabad Fort, often overshadowed by the grandeur of the Tughlaqabad Fort. Built by Mohammed Bin Tughlaq, the Adilabad fort was conceived with an idea of providing protection to his people living within the boundary of the new city of Jahanpanah. Legends claim that the influence of a curse led to the emperor abandoning the Tughlaqabad Fort and the city of Jahanpanah. You’ll get to unravel these mystical lore with your well-versed guide.
Following the conclusion of your tour, enjoy a lunch at a local restaurant before you will be taken back to your hotel within New Delhi city center.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :New Delhi, New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi
Traveler pickup is offered
We may pick up travelers from city center hotels / fixed point wiithin city limits. In case pick up is outside central points extra cost shall applicable subject to distance applicable.Airports
- Indira Gandhi Intl Airport, New Delhi, New Delhi 110037 India
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Dress code is smart casual
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Children below 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.