The Dark Side of Rome : Castel Sant'Angelo With Aperitif
Join us on this 3-hour intimate guided tour to discover the main treasures of Castel Sant'Angelo staying away from the crowded group tours. With your English-speaking guide, you will admire the impressive castle's architecture. Once you get inside, you will be led through the several historical stages of the Eternal City and admire the incredible masterpieces hosted by the castle. After the tour, take a relaxing walk through Rome famous narrow streets and enjoy a drink with your local guide.
per adult from
What's included :
- All Fees and Taxes
- Professional Art Historian Guide
- Group of maximum 12 people
- Entry/Admission - Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant'Angelo
What's excluded :
- Pick up and Drop Off
- Transportation to/from attractions
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant'Angelo, Lungotevere Castello 50, 00193 Rome Italy
Castel Sant’Angelo was built as a tomb for Emperor Hadrian AD 130-139. It has been both a prison, fortress and a papal residence, there is a secret passageway that connects Castel Sant’Angelo to the Vatican City. Popes used to go to Castel Sant’Angelo through the passageway if they felt they were in danger at the Vatican.
The Castle has a long and interesting history, it has been looted and pillaged by just about every invader that entered Rome. Legend has it that the Archangel Michael appeared on top of Castel Sant’Angelo sheathing his sword as a sign of the end of the plague of 590. Castel Sant’Angelo has appeared in the book Dan Brown’s Angels & Demons and the video game Assassin’s Creed 2 as well as movies and operas.
Your very own private guide will take you on a journey deep within the walls of this incredible and imposing monument, revealing all the mysteries and secrets that have been trapped inside for centuries. You will visit Hadrian's tomb, the emperors famous resting place, the Papal fortress where Popes would talk refuge in times of crisis, delve deep in to the Castles prisons and torture chambers, then climb up upon the large terrace, where Puccini's heroine jumped to her death in his opera "Tosca", it has a truly fantastic view over the Eternal City centre of Rome. Come with us on this unforgettable experience in to the heart of Roman history!
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Stop At: Piazza Navona, 00186 Rome Italy
After the tour, take a relaxing visit to one of the oldest neighborhood in Rome, Rione Ponte. For an evening you’ll never forget; ask questions while you enjoy a drink with our friendly local tour guide.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Lungotevere Castello, 50, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
Departure Time :5:00 PM
Return Detail :Piazza Navona, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- The tour reservations have strict timing. To join the tour you are required to be at the meeting point for check-in at least 30 minutes prior to your tour departure time.
- If you arrive late for the meeting time, it will not be possible to join the group or reschedule, unless you pay for the activity again. As per "No Show" rules you will not be entitled to a refund.
- Please be advised capacity regulations and security may delay the tour departure This could also influence the smooth running of the tour especially on national holidays and events.
- Cancellations, changes or issues due to weather, security and events held by the monument are beyond our control and are directly decided by their administration team. These issues will be reviewed by us and dealt with on an individual basis but are the responsibility of the monument.
- All visitors must pass through the monument/attraction security check please allow at least 20 minutes to clear security
- The exact timings and reservations can vary, dependant on the monument/attractions administration offices availabilities and decisions on the booking day and can be subject to last minute changes. Departure time can differ up to 20 minutes from your selected time.
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair.
- Please be aware that large bags/backpacks/suitcases are not permitted in the monument/ attraction. Only very small bags are allowed. Please do not bring these items with you on the day of your tour as there are no cloakrooms at the monument.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Dress code is comfortable clothing
- Pets are not allowed inside the venue
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- No Serious Medical Conditions
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.