The Memorial - Literature Tour
With the novel by José Saramago, The Memorial, as background, we discover Lisbon in the 18th century.
"On the other bank, over the water, still far away, Lisbon poured itself outside its walls. You could see the fortress on the mountain, you could see the church towers towering over the tangle of flat houses, you could see the crowded gables. (...)
There was Lisbon, as it were presented on the flat hand, now with towering walls and houses. (…) "
JOSÉ SARAMAGO in The Memorial
José Saramago describes Portugal from the beginning of the 18th century almost like a fairy tale in which a king, a damaged soldier, a witch, a flying priest merge into a magical story.
We can no longer see the Lisbon where Baltasar arrives. But by guiding the Saramago novel, we will take a look at the atmosphere of the vibrant city.
Even if you haven't read the novel, this tour will show a different Lisbon.
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Alfama, Lisbon Portugal
Old quarter of the city
Duration: 10 minutes
Departure Point :Casa dos Bicos / José Saramago Foundation, Rua dos Bacalhoeiros 10, 1100-135 Lisboa, Portugal
Return Detail :Praça Dom Pedro IV, 1100 Lisboa, Portugal
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.