The Old Edinburgh Walking Tour - Private tour.
This 2-hour guided tour of Edinburgh will reveal to you not just some of the streets of Scotland’s historic Old Town today; it will let you discover what they were once like. We love taking our guests to the very places where some of Scotland’s most famous (and infamous) characters lived and walked. Walk in the footsteps of; Mary, Queen of Scots, ‘Bonnie Prince Charlie’, Deacon Brodie and more! On this tour, you will visit many famous Old Town locations.
Our tour makes full use of the Historic Edinburgh Tours archive of images. Robert, your guide, will bring an A3 book of images which will help you imagine Old Edinburgh as it once was. Numerous 'then and now' opportunities arise on this tour!
Your guide was born in Edinburgh and has lived there all his life. He planned, researched and wrote this tour.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Greyfriars Kirkyard, Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh EH1 2QQ Scotland
Your tour starts just inside the main gate of Greyfriars Kirkyard. You'll find out about Edinburgh's famous 'wee dug'; Greyfriars Bobby. There are a number of versions of his story. We'll let you make your own mind up!
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: 21 Grassmarket Old Town, Edinburgh EH1 2HS Scotland
Candlemaker Row and the Grassmarket will be next on your route. You'll find out about one of Scotland's most significant weddings and how it affected Edinburgh. You'll follow the route of the pre-wedding party.
Duration: 25 minutes
Stop At: Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 2PB Scotland
Your tour will take in a number of locations along Edinburgh's famous Royal Mile. We'll see where Mary, Queen of Scots spent part of her childhood, we'll visit a charming little courtyard (with a royal link) and we'll discover the very strange story of Deacon William Brodie and his hanging.
We get to cover a brief history of St Giles before visiting the site of the old Mercat Cross. You'll learn about the significance of this location in the story of Prince Charles Edward Stewart ('Bonnie Prince Charlie') before we visit an atmospheric Old Town close. The stories here will be rather memorable...
Duration: 40 minutes
Stop At: Cowgate, Edinburgh EH1, UK
The Cowgate is often ignored by other tours, but we'll make the most of it when we discover what life was like for Edinburgh's Victorian poor.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh Scotland
We'll visit two stops which belong to the famous University of Edinburgh. Burke and Hare, the infamous Irish murderers, came to where we make our penultimate stop. You'll find out how this pair worked, why they were able to murder so many people...and finally what happened to them.
We may even look at the 'traditional' Highland outfit your guide will be wearing.
Your final stop takes place near to Old College (or, if it's open to us, inside Old College). This is possibly one of the most fascinating places on our tour. It looks incredible now...but the story we share is even more explosive. Literally!
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Greyfriars Kirkyard, 26A Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh EH1 2QE, UK
Return Detail :South Bridge, Edinburgh, UK
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Your safety throughout your time with us is paramount. We’ve implemented a number of procedures which will give you confidence in your safety when with us. We've been awarded the “We’re good to go” certification from Visit Britain.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.