The Rise and Fall of the American Mafia Walking Tour
This is the story of a new, truly American style of Mafia that was born in the ashes of the 19th century. Rooted in immigrant struggle and superstition, immigrant-born, American-raised children found their way to running the most powerful crime empire in the world.
Fueled by ambition, greed, and the ability to transform and evolve, these packs of \wolves in hand-tailored suits, found that American streets weren't paved with gold... They had to tear those streets open to find their riches. This is a story that leaps from the broken lands of Sicily and Southern Italy, across Russia and the Ukraine, swirling through Ireland, Turkey, Cuba, Nazi Germany, and every spot in between, told amidst the cafes, tenements, night clubs, restaurants and even alleyways of Downtown New York.
This is the story of the American Mafia, through the rise, the peak and the downward spiral of the 20th century.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional guide
- 2-hour walking tour. No more, no less
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- DVD (available to purchase)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Little Italy, Mulberry Street, New York City, NY 10013
The tour starts promptly at 6pm -- 5pm from October through mid-March-- at 176 1st avenue, near E10th street outside of what used to be a 110 year old Italian restaurant and opens with a brief understanding of the delicate balance between the two worlds of the neighborhood: The respectable, honorable immigrant success stories and the ruthless thugs, protectors and shakedown artists that kept them in their clutches. The shape of a "Mafia" and its influence on everyday citizens is clearly outlined here.
The story then follows the slow and steady rise of Charles "Lucky" Luciano, through the neighborhood spots that he used to frequent. The tour then follows the cafes and restaurants of the neighborhood to weave together the story of prohibition, mafia warfare, double-crossings, and a new incarnation of what it meant to be Mafia in America.
The tour follows a distinct narrative through the span of the 20th century, linking together small, local stories of mid-level thugs and "businessmen" and the ways in which they tie together with the greatest Mafiosi in American history involved in major plays all over the world. There are also multiple references and connections to The Godfather Trilogy, Goodfellas, and The Sopranos.
The tour ends in NoLita (Northern Little Italy) with the story of the notorious John Gotti, a perfect conclusion to a century of Italian-American supremacy in Organized Crime (as well as some theories as to the state of the Mafia today...)
Total walking: 1.2 miles (just under 2K)
Departure Point :168 1st Avenue, New York, NY 10009, USA
Departure Time :
6pm, Fridays & Saturdays
Return Detail :Mulberry Street & Prince Street, Mulberry St & Prince St, New York, NY 10012, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age recommended (but not required): 14
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.