The Sites and Landmarks of Mandalay
Centuries of history are entwined with the city’s strong affiliation to Buddhism. It comes as no surprise that Mandalay leaves a flood of euphoria to department guests, eager to explore more. A half-day well-spent, where we capture the tip of the iceberg.
• Awe and splendour witnessed at Mahamuni Pagoda
• Admire the intricate wood work of Shwenandaw Kyaung
• Wander through hundreds of stone pages at Kuthodaw
• Gaze over Mandalay from the city’s highest point
• Return transfers from and to your hotel are included
per adult from
4 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- A half-day tour with a professional English-speaking guide.
- Transportation by air-conditioned vehicle with professional driver
- All applicable taxes and service charges
What's excluded :
- All entrance fees (to be paid on spot by the clients)
- Tours, inclusions of any kind and other services that are not outlined in the tour description
- Personal expenses such as meals, drinks, tips and gratuities, shopping, portage fees
- Hotel accommodation in the destination of commencement.
- Any airline tickets, visa fees, additional transportation cost from and to the general meeting point
- Transfers from any airport or resorts located outside the general pick-up and drop-off locations
- Travel insurance coverage for customers (highly recommendable)
- Entry/Admission - Mahamuni Pagoda
- Entry/Admission - Shweinbin Monastery
- Entry/Admission - Shwenandaw Monastery
- Entry/Admission - Kuthodaw Pagoda & the World's Largest Book
- Entry/Admission - Mandalay Hill
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mahamuni Pagoda, Mandalay Myanmar
Pick up from your hotel in the morning (or early afternoon, when opting for the afternoon exploration of Mandalay) with your guide and driver. Stops during this half-day tour include one of the most revered religious monuments in Myanmar, a guided journey commences with a landmark of invaluable proportions. Said to rival Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon in terms of religious importance, Mandalay’s Mahamuni Pagoda is a blissful example of the importance of Buddhism in the country. Constructed during the 18th century, its gilded interior and exterior are among the finest examples around. The complex's centrepiece is a Buddha image that was made originally out of alloy but now layered with thin foils of gold. It is now is expected to weigh over a ton.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Shweinbin Monastery, Mandalay, Myanmar (Burma)
Further in this tour, we include the Shwe Inbin Monastery and the Shwenandaw Kyaung (Golden Palace Monastery), an imposing teak monastery-temple that was built within the palace complex but subsequently dismantled and rebuilt some years later. Nowadays, although still called a monastery, the complex is one of the finer, well-preserved examples of a bygone era.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Shwenandaw Monastery, Shwenandaw Golden Palace, Mandalay Myanmar
Next, the Golden Palace Monastery is a superb example of a traditional wooden building. Locally known as Shwenandaw, it once was home to hundreds of monks
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Kuthodaw Pagoda & the World's Largest Book, Mandalay Myanmar
Home to the world's largest book, the Kuthodaw Pagoda is a religious landmark in its own right and is marked next on our route. A total of 729 marble slabs, on which the entire Theravada Buddhist Pali Canon are inscribed are on display at this primarily white example of its connection with Buddhism.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Mandalay, Mandalay, Mandalay Region
A visit a traditional handloom silk workshop as well as a Kalaga tapestries craftsman’s shop brings forward a more traditional side of Mandalay.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Mandalay Hill, Mandalay Myanmar
Ending at the highest point of Mandalay for superb views over the city and surrounding plains marks the end of exploring the beauty of the country's 2nd largest city.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Hotel pickup is available from most centrally located Mandalay hotels. Transfer outside these areas, supplements apply.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This tour is operated on full private basis with English-speaking guide. Other languages are on request / subject to availability and supplementary charges may apply.
- Return transfers for this excursion apply only / are inclusive for customers staying in and inside Mandalay. Transfers outside these areas, including any accommodation outside this area such as Sagaing, Amarapura, river cruise ports and Mandalay’s International airport are excluded. Supplements apply for customers who want to join this excursion outside one of these regions.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- We will do all possible to comply with any dietary requirements during this excursion; it may not always be possible to confirm your wishes in advance based on the choice of local restaurant.
- To respect local customs and respecting the religious sites and temples on this tour, it is customary for guests to take off their shoes before allowed entrance. Your guide will inform you in advance for which of these sites this is applicable.
- We always will make efforts to confirm the exact pick-up time upon reservation. For any operational issues in which are not able to confirm the exact pick-up time in advance, we reserve the right to inform you the day before the departure of the tour.
- There will be ample time for customers to spend time on their own to admire the sites at their own pace or browse along the shops for souvenirs. When additional time needs to be allocated for more time at leisure or shopping, this can be discussed with the guide on spot.
- Please ensure that you bring sunglasses, a hat /cap and sunblock with a high SPF factor when traveling with us on this tour – even when it is cloudy, the sunrays still have an immense power.
- It is the responsibility of the customer to provide us with the correct hotel information, should pick-up and drop-off services be included in the package. Any changes in accommodation outside 24 hours will be handled accordingly: changes within 24 hours may be on request.
- In the event of no-show or change of accommodation without prior consent and confirmation from us within 24 hours may result in the applicable cancellation charges as outlined in the terms and conditions.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.