The Thingvellir National Park Tour ( Þingvellir )
Þingvellir national park is a UNESCO cultural site and geowhere. Þingvellir national park is a natural wonder on an international scale, with the geologic history and the biosystem of Lake Þingvallavatn forming a unique entity, a magnificent showcase.
The Þingvellir area is part of a fissure zone running through Iceland, being situated on the tectonic plate boundaries of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
At Þingvellir – literally “Assembly Plains” – the Alþing general assembly was established around 930 and continued to convene there until 1798. Major events in the history of Iceland have taken place at Þingvellir and therefore the place is held in high esteem by all Icelanders. Today Þingvellir is a protected national shrine.
2 Trees planted
Carbon Dioxide Footprint:
Oak Travel Service is proud to support responsible travel in Iceland. The Kolviður Fund we neutralize the carbon dioxide footprint of all our tours and service without no extra costs for our customers.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pickup Transportation
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Thingvellir National Park, Thingvellir Iceland
At Thingvellir National Park, Iceland gave birth to its first parliament and was the first democratic national parliament in the world. It’s called Althing (Alþing). Therefore it’s Iceland’s most significant and historical and geological places. The parliament was founded in the year 930 AD and is the oldest parliament in the world that’s still fully operating. Althing was held outdoors at Thingvellir until the year 1844 when the Icelandic Parliament was moved to Iceland’s capital Reykjavik and has been operated there ever since.
At Thingvellir, you can clearly see where the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates meet and also how spectacularly these plates have been drifting apart. At the slow and non-violent speed the plates drift apart at the rate of 2 cm (0.79 in) per year. This process is steadily forming the island’s markable landscape over millions of years. After your visit to this markable place, you’ll leave with a sense of history as you explore more of the Icelandic nature since the area is a high concentration of volcanic activity and many newly lava fields can be found in many places as well as several lava tubes.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Harpan, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
Traveler pickup is offered
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Stroller accessible
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.